Protecting with Frontier's Anti Grease ....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Question To FrontierGander ....

We get questions quite frequently, under one thread or another, old/new shooters wanting to know how to protect their Muzzle Loaders from rusting in the field when caught out in rain, or other wet weather. Our suggestion has always been to first put a good stock finish on the stock in the barrel channel and tang mortise. Then, put a coat of good wax on the surfaces to give a better "water seal".

Finally, coat the bottom flats of the barrel, and pack the mortise with WATER PUMP GREASE to protect the barrel from any contact with moisture, be it condensation, rain, snow, or even water when you clean the gun. This is particular useful for gun builders to know, when they are completing a gun that has the barrel pinned to the forestock, and removing the barrel frequently is NOT recommended.

Water pump grease has a "Drip Temperature" of 90 Degrees C., or 194 degrees F. That means it does not melt down to the point of dripping off in the form of oil until its way too hot to be holding even the stock bare-handed! Its rated for normal use in water pumps(think automobiles) from 0 degrees C.(32 degrees F.) to 75 degrees C (167 degrees F.) Now, water ( as in what is in a Water pump) freezes at 32 degrees F.(0 degrees C.) If a pump freezes, it can no longer function.

Instead, you are only using it to seal water away from your barrel and tang, so you don't find lots of rust down there if and when you ever remove the stock pins to remove the barrel from the stock.

There are a lot of new synthetic grease products seem to come on the market every year-- that can also work to do this kind of "water-proofing". Check products sold in the building industry used to seal exterior windows, siding, shingles, etc. or what you have. Water pump grease can be used to grease as a seal.

Paul Vallan....​

Protecting with Frontier's Anti - Rust & Patch Lube:
  1. Work Frontier's Anti-Rust & Patch lube into a fresh cleaning patch, using a little extra to make up for the excess that will squeeze out at the muzzle.
  2. Slowly work the patch up and down the bore in 2" to 4" strokes to ensure proper coverage.
  3. To ensure amazing coverage, you can gently heat the barrel hot enough to melt the lube or even just melt a little lube in a bowl, and dip the patch into it. I personally prefer to heat my barrel and then swab the anti rust lube in and then set the barrel off to the side to cure over night.
  4. While the barrel is still hot, wipe the exterior of the barrel down and then using a soft cloth, lightly wipe the barrel down to soak up excess lube. A little lube goes a LONG way with this product.

Will your products have any issues with dripping?

Excellent question Paul V., what's the answer - have you tested this Jonathan (put you on the spot kid). :cheers: :thumbs up:

Using your product as a seal between the inletted area and the barrel, tang etc. to keep moisture out. I would think the bear grease is to thin and would run out, but the other patch lube may work???

no i've been using it for years ( without the bear oil ) for sealing the stock and lock area. If its applied thinly as it should be, there will be no runny mess. All of my gun stocks and barrels are completely treated with the bear paws lube and when you touch them, you dont even feel anything on them.

Latest posts

Back