Tight Fit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishn-Hunter

Reaction score
Finally got to shoot the Pursuit XLT, ended up using what I had (Tripple7 Pellets, 300grn bonded shockwaves & Remington 209 muzzy primers). Started out at 50yrds and 80grns of pellets, hit about 11:30 3" from dead center moved up to 110grn shooting 4" above dead centre. Moved to 100yrds and went to 130grn of pellets.
The result is 1.5" group POI 4" high at 100yrds using 130grns of tripple7 pellets. The gun and load performed very well and i am very happy with it.
However the TC Shockwave 300grn bonded spire point sabots are VERY tough to load, my question is this is there any way tips or tricks to get these sabot bullets to load a little easier?
I did pull breach plug and swabbed after every 2nd shot but it seemed more difficult to load with a clean barrel for some reason. I will be using this setup for moose hunting this September. With my POI at 4" high at 100 yrds and 130grns of tripple7 pellets pushing that bullet. At what yardage will the bullet hit dead centre and how high should i expect it to impact at 50yrds and what would my max range be with this load and bullet on a moose to get a clean kill in the vitals without hitting heavy bone?

You can try some crushed rib sabots. You may also get some JB Bore Paste and polish the bore on that rifle

T/C makes a yellow sabot. I believe it is called E-Z load. Or try them in a black Harvester Crushed Rib sabot and see if they do not load better.

When you swab, you do not have to pull the breech plug. Do it all from the muzzle. The powder down in the bottom that is left will not hurt too much. Unless of course you like pulled the plug. Then do it.

As for where it will hit... I hate to guess. Try a few shots at 50 yards, and then try a couple at 150 yards. Do not take anything for granted. Especially if you are going to be shoot at a moose. What do you think the average range of shot will be on your hunting trip?

I never weighed 777 pellets,but I have read many times that each pellet can vary from the next.Which can in turn vary where you will hit on each shot.(change in velocity)

Tho for every account that says it I can find someone who swears by pellets.Heck I still have a box.

From my own experience powder is a lot more consistent(on the target) than pellets(777),and not any slower in loading.

Just throwing it out there.

Cell

I would try some different sabots. You could start with a pack of the 'E-Z Glides' or 'Low Drag', and then the harvester crush rib sabots. I know some types of regular sabots with certain bullets can be very difficult to load. You don't need that in a hunting trip. Mix & match until you get the right bore fit. Pay attention that your sabot is for the correct bullet, .452 verses .430/44 cal. I like the idea of Blackhorn 209 too.

Latest posts

Back