Range Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psustang89

Reaction score
When you guys swab your barrel at the range, are you removing the breech plug each time, or cleaning from the muzzle? I have some new loads to try and noticed some people clean between each shot. If the plug comes out after each shot, that's a full day at the range! Thanks

From the muzzle: Spit patch (both sides) followed by a dry patch (both sides) between each shot. It is not so much "cleaning" as it is removing the excess crud.

Clean from muzzle end in between each shot. If I know I'm going to be doing some serious consecutive shootin, { more then a doz. shots } I will hand twist a drill bit in the flash channel of the BP every 3rd or 6th shot, cutting the carbon loose then a quick blow. Just takes a few seconds with my Encore.

wow I take everything 100% apart. clean it all 100% then foul 2 shots....I'll be saving time next time.

earnhard3 said:
wow I take everything 100% apart. clean it all 100% then foul 2 shots....I'll be saving time next time.

Keep your patches damp, not wet, use a 50/50 window cleaner an alcohol, no reason to foul w/a primer. That just gets your crud ring started quicker.The alcohol will start drying your barrel before you hit it with the first dry patch. I alway's use 2 dry patches. This process works well.

What powder you using? If T7 or Pyro clean between each shot as directed. BH209 you can shoot multiple times w/ no problem and probably more accracy. BH likes a dirty bore it seems.[/quote]

Bucker said:
What powder you using? If T7 or Pyro clean between each shot as directed. BH209 you can shoot multiple times w/ no problem and probably more accracy. BH likes a dirty bore it seems.
[/quote]

Currently American Pioneer, but going to try T7 soon. Might have to pick up some BH209 as well, seems to get a lot of positive comments on the forums.

If your shooting APP you do not have to swab between shots as much either. I shot 12 rounds off without a single swab shooting APP. Another good clean powder out there is Pinnacle. But you might like BlackHorn 209 a lot if you have the right rifle.

alcohol--- what kind? Will sopropyl Alcohol work I think its 95 or 99% proof. Used for fiber optics

If I was to clean at the range I would leave the BP in. With B209 I can go the whole session at the range without any cleaning. I just clean when I get home.

earnhard3 said:
alcohol--- what kind? Will sopropyl Alcohol work I think its 95 or 99% proof. Used for fiber optics

I would think any high purity alcohol would work, as the point is that it evaporates quickly. I plan to use Iso-propyl b/c it's readily available to me. Otherwise rubbing alcohol should be just fine.

Back