CVA Speed Breech on the APEX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldelkhunter

Reaction score
It is almost impossible to find a picture of an APEX w/o the speed breech. Yet when I called CVA yesterday they said it would be June/July before they hit the streets. Is blowback a concern with the old Apex Muzzleloader barrel?

oldelkhunter said:
It is almost impossible to find a picture of an APEX w/o the speed breech. Yet when I called CVA yesterday they said it would be June/July before they hit the streets. Is blowback a concern with the old Apex Muzzleloader barrel?

If it uses the standard CVA type breach plug its not real bad but keep the flash channel and flash hole clean.

My CVA plug has always liked standard Win209s in terms of least blowby. They seem to fit better than about 5 different ones ive tried.

The initial release of the Apex to the public ( I THOUGHT!) included the speed breech. I doubt blowback was any more a concern with those few rifles than it is in the Accura with standard breech plug, it was just the rifle design was first released before the speed breech design was ready.

The speed breech is really nice but I think I would have been just as happy with a standard plug.

original apex? the original apex was a winchester and it was basically a kodiak with some upgrades and experimental stuff that you now find on cva's line up.

be interesting if the prototype had the hexhead BP like the Accura.

My Apex looks just like the APEX currently displayed on the CVA site. It does not have the Speed Breech. The owner of the gunshop that sold me the rifle has not yet received an Apex with the speed breech. My serial number is 19xx so it sounds like early production.

FG, shuddup. Oldelkhunter, I didn't know any made it to dealer shelves without the speed breech. Thanks for clearing that up.

Here are the promised pics

P1010002.jpg

P1010001.jpg

oldelkhunter said:
Here are the promised pics

P1010002.jpg

P1010001.jpg

oldelkhunter,

I have seen quite a few Apex's, and yours is the first one that I have seen WITHOUT the hand removable breech plug. What is that hole in the bottom of the breech, does it vent out the bottom of the barrel? I wonder if that was an earlier one, OR did they do away with the hand removable one? Option? Thanks for posting the pics.

I have fondled quite a few of those Apex's last fall, they are a very nice rifle.

that hole is just like what tc uses. Any gasses coming out of the primer area is vented through the barrel lock up lug and into the forestock. Basically directs the gasses away from the shooter.

Guys I don't know how old the gun is but the dealer that sold it to me has had quite a run on them.

oldelkhunter

From what i can see in the picture - it looks like a normal CVA breech plug. How many turns does it take to remove the plug? Or could you remove it and take a picture of the BP...

I do not follow CVA that much but I thought that was one of the big deals about the APEX was it had a 'Quck Release" breech.

Just for you information the TC 'Speed Breech' comes out in a 1/4 turn. Not that is any better.

SL...it takes a 12mm scoket wrench and comes out like any other conventional breech plug. The TC comes out in 1/4 turn and the "NEW" Cva breechplug has to be unscrewed by hand and it is not 1/4 turn only. You don't need tools to undo the CVA though but everytime i cleaned my Encore it required their little tool to do it even though it was the "Speed" Breech.

oldelkhunter

Thanks for the information... that is kinda what I thought when I saw the picture but just was not sure.

Latest posts

Back