Range Report - Barnes 290 gr TEZ with Crush Rib Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been wanting to try this combo for quite awhile but have been unable to get to the range until today. I like hunting with the Barnes all copper TEZ bullets but have been trying to squeeze a little more accuracy out of them. All bullets were fired out of a Traditions Pursuit XLT, using 110 grains of BH209, and a CCI209M primer. The targets were at 100 yards.

Before I did my testing with the Crush Ribs, I fired off a fouling shot, then a three shot group using my target load of 110 gr of BH209 with a Hornady 300 gr SST with the supplied black sabots. There was a little horizontal stringing, but not too bad. The group measured an 1 3/8".
IMG_3839.jpg

I knew I was in for touble when I loaded my first round with the Harvestor Crush Rib Sabots. They were way too easy to load in my Pursuit XLT. In fact, I've never had anything load that easy. When I picked up the fired sabots from the ground, you could see where only the base of the sabot engaged the rifling, the petals were not touched. After shooting two, I gave up. Accuracy was not good.
IMG_3840.jpg

After my testing with the Crush Ribs, I decided to try the SST's black sabot with the Barnes Bullet. This proved to be a combo that my Pursuit liked. My three shot group measured at an 1 1/4". I think and hope that the black sabot that comes with the Hornady 300 gr bullet is a MMP HPH12 sabot.
IMG_3841.jpg

I also decided to shoot off a few of the TEZs with their supplied blue sabots just to see if it would be worth switching sabots for these bullets. After firing off two, I could tell that YES it would be worth using MMP HPH12 sabots instead of the blue sabots. (First photo shows the two shots with the blue sabots)

If I'm wrong about the Hornady 300 gr SST's coming with an MMP HPH12 sabot PLEASE let me know.

I shoot the 250 TEZ with supplied sabot in my tight barreled triumph and they load nicely.not to tight, not loose.accuracy is excellent with them and 90-110 gr 777 loose.good to see you found the right sabot and bullet combo for that rifle.

BuckDoeHunter said:
I have been wanting to try this combo for quite awhile but have been unable to get to the range until today. I like hunting with the Barnes all copper TEZ bullets but have been trying to squeeze a little more accuracy out of them. All bullets were fired out of a Traditions Pursuit XLT, using 110 grains of BH209, and a CCI209M primer. The targets were at 100 yards.

Before I did my testing with the Crush Ribs, I fired off a fouling shot, then a three shot group using my target load of 110 gr of BH209 with a Hornady 300 gr SST with the supplied black sabots. There was a little horizontal stringing, but not too bad. The group measured an 1 3/8".
IMG_3839.jpg

I knew I was in for touble when I loaded my first round with the Harvestor Crush Rib Sabots. They were way too easy to load in my Pursuit XLT. In fact, I've never had anything load that easy. When I picked up the fired sabots from the ground, you could see where only the base of the sabot engaged the rifling, the petals were not touched. After shooting two, I gave up. Accuracy was not good.
IMG_3840.jpg

After my testing with the Crush Ribs, I decided to try the SST's black sabot with the Barnes Bullet. This proved to be a combo that my Pursuit liked. My three shot group measured at an 1 1/4". I think and hope that the black sabot that comes with the Hornady 300 gr bullet is a MMP HPH12 sabot.
IMG_3841.jpg

I also decided to shoot off a few of the TEZs with their supplied blue sabots just to see if it would be worth switching sabots for these bullets. After firing off two, I could tell that YES it would be worth using MMP HPH12 sabots instead of the blue sabots. (First photo shows the two shots with the blue sabots)

If I'm wrong about the Hornady 300 gr SST's coming with an MMP HPH12 sabot PLEASE let me know.

We supplied Hornady with HPH-12's for several years. A couple years back they switched to HPH-24's. Call me at 870 741 5019 with one of your sabots in hand and we can positively identify them.

I'm putting together several bullet/sabot combos to see what winds up working best in my BC. I have some Hornady 250gr SST Low Drag that measures .503"/.504" OD. I'm positive the 250gr is the same diameter as your 300gr. If I put that bullet into a black crush rib sabot, it measures a tiny bit larger at .504"/.505" - if I put the same bullet into the red crush rib sabot, it measures .508"/.509" but I haven't pushed any of them down the bore of my BC.

I also got some samples of the yellow crush rib from Harvester and their boattail replacement for the Barnes TMZ was .508"/.509" compared to standard Barnes yellow sabot which measured a hair smaller at .507"/.508". Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can go shoot.

interesting.... I also have a Pursuit XLT and have found good results with the Barnes 250TMZ and the Harvestor crush rib boat tail sabots. The yellow sabot that comes with the TMZ's is an absolute bear to load!!

Another factor to consider. The 290 grain Barnes bullets are very long. Their "optimal" twist rate is more like 1:24 where as the 250 grain bullets optimal is 1:28. I would be interested to find out if you have the same trouble with the 250 barnes TEZ.

tpcollins said:
I'm putting together several bullet/sabot combos to see what winds up working best in my BC. I have some Hornady 250gr SST Low Drag that measures .503"/.504" OD. I'm positive the 250gr is the same diameter as your 300gr. If I put that bullet into a black crush rib sabot, it measures a tiny bit larger at .504"/.505" - if I put the same bullet into the red crush rib sabot, it measures .508"/.509" but I haven't pushed any of them down the bore of my BC.

Last season I used some of the 300gr Hornady SST Low Drags in my Remington Genesis. I couldn't get them to group for squat but had run out of time to get any other bullets. The first day of ML season here in Michigan I took a 60yd shot at a nice doe I had stalked and all I heard was the primer pop. Then I could hear the powder burning and the bullet coming down the barrel. To my amazement the ONLY thing to exit the barrel was the sabot. The bullet had fallen out of the sabot during my walk out to the field or during the stalk!!!!! The next day I took the gun to work and mic'd the sabots and bore of my gun. From my measurements the Hornady SST Low Drag mic'd at .501 and the barrel of my gun measured .502

I also mic'd some of the regular 300gr Hornady SST's with the supplied black sabot and came up with a measurement of .507-.508. I almost had to beat these down the barrel.

Thanks for the info.! I'm almost positive now that the supplied black sabots that came with the Hornady 300 gr SSTs are the HPH-12. I bought the SSTs last year at a local gun shop and they looked like they had been there for awhile. I also noticed that the red tip was more pointed and harder than the ones for sale now. I think I will try a pack of the TMZs with the supplied yellow sabots just to see how hard they load and if my Pursuit likes them. I've tried them before but not with this gun. Hopefully soon, I will take the other guns to the range and try out the Barnes 250 gr TEZ bullet with the HPH-12 sabots.

Latest posts

Back