White Super 91 II

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris K

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get a White Muzzleloader for a very long time, and it's looking like that time has finally came but I have a couple questions.

I've found a Super 91 II for $400 is this a good deal?

Also whats the big diffrence between the super 91 and the super 91 II?

I've also seen a White Whitetail for $400 is this a good deal?

I believe either one of these would be a great rifle, but would love any info anyone could give me.

Just want to make the most informative decision I can.

Thanks

There are a few people who come on here who will be able to tell you a lot about these White's. I think the biggest difference is that the Super 91 II does not have the under barrel rib like the Super 91. As far as the prices go I can't help you there. They are not giving them away that's for sure. Maybe they have room to dicker.
Art
________
F800s

400 for the 91 II is pretty reasonable if in good shape. Pretty high for the Whitetail.

I prefer the 97 action as it is easier for me to operate the cocking lever than the pull-cock of the W-series. If you have arthritis, you'll understand.

What Flounder said is correct, the only difference is it is missing the under rib. Doc stated he felt the Super91 II was more accurate without the rib??? They are great rifles and you will find most White owners have both the Super91 and M97. I'm with Rich as I find the M97 easier as I shoot left handed and I find the cocking lever on the M97 quicker to pull back with my left hand.

I would grab that Super91 as it won't last long. As far as price goes, it is a fair price depending on the condition.

Ed

UC and ED are correct, and I will add the Super91 II also sports a BlackIce Teflon finish. IMO this is the best finish for a muzzleloader. Ask the seller if he bought the rifle new, if he did ask for the taget that Doc signed when he test fired the rifle. You did not say the caliber so I will guess you are talking about .504.

The Model 97 is a fine rifle also, the cocking lever is nice and feild stripping is somewhat easier than the S91 II, however I have had mine catch on brush were you wont have that issue with S91 II. The Modsel 97 has a two inch shorter barrel also. Both rifles are great, the stocks are slightly differant in shape also, I personaly prefer the S91 stock.

Both rifles are very accurate and will last a lifetime if cared for. You cannot go wrong with either rifle just depends on your likes and disslikes.

May have missread your post. Is the Whitetail a model 97 Whitetail Hunter or a G Series Whitetail? Makes a differance in value.

$400 for the S91 II is fair as long as mentioned it is in excellent condition. Any extras that would have came with it would add to it.

If the Model 97 is NIB $400 would be top end but NIB is nice if it is.

The whitetail is a Model 97 whitetail hunter .504.

I haven't seen the super 91 II, but it sounds like it's in great condition. THe seller says it's a blued model so I don't know if it's teflon or not I hope so. There is a target with this rifle, and it's a .504.

Kris K said:
The whitetail is a Model 97 whitetail hunter .504.

I haven't seen the super 91 II, but it sounds like it's in great condition. THe seller says it's a blued model so I don't know if it's teflon or not I hope so. There is a target with this rifle, and it's a .504.

Kris, the teflon looks like blue but it cleans like its covered in ice nothing sticks to it.

The Model 97 Whitetail hunter is s very good rifle also I own a couple of em.

Either one you will have a great rifle :D

Underclocked said:
400 for the 91 II is pretty reasonable if in good shape. Pretty high for the Whitetail.

I prefer the 97 action as it is easier for me to operate the cocking lever than the pull-cock of the W-series. If you have arthritis, you'll understand.

I somewhat agree with this; but the 97 is a little more difficult to reassemble after cleaning for me with bad arthritis in my thumbs as the rear cap is a bear to compress the spring and screw in at the same time. The 91 action is OK for me to cock if I use my fingers rather than my thumb.

I have both and I would opt for the 91. I doubt it is black iced (teflon coated) as it would not be advertised as blue if it were. The price for the 91 is a top price but not unreasonable. The price for the 97 would only be if it were new in the box with all accessories and bullets that came with it.

I gave $400 for my Whitetail rifle in SS, but it was .410 caliber and in pristene shape, like NIB and I got the box too.

I use either my .504 or .451 Super 91's for deer, you won't be sorry if you buy a White. I sold all but one of my TC's if that tells you anything, after I got my Whites. 8)

Well I desided to get the Super 91 II. I'm actually getting it from Doc him self. I'm pretty excited can't wait to get it. From what i've read $400 wasn't that bad of price. Thanks everyone for there help I'm sure I'll have some more questions about the White.

Coming from Doc the rifle will be great. I just got a similar deal and have had Doc do a barrel installation on a Thunderbolt a long time ago. Anything coming from him will be top condition and worth what he is asking. You might get a slightly better deal on a used one but would be taking the chance on condition being less than perfect. You will really be impressed with the White. They are nearly unmatched for large solid lead bullet function. They also perform just fine with older sub powders like Pyrodex as long as you clean well after use.

MLKeith said:
Coming from Doc the rifle will be great. I just got a similar deal and have had Doc do a barrel installation on a Thunderbolt a long time ago. Anything coming from him will be top condition and worth what he is asking. You might get a slightly better deal on a used one but would be taking the chance on condition being less than perfect. You will really be impressed with the White. They are nearly unmatched for large solid lead bullet function. They also perform just fine with older sub powders like Pyrodex as long as you clean well after use.

I can't wait, from talking to Doc I know I will get nothing but the best. My only problem is finding a bullet to shoot thats easy to find. I love big heavy bullets. I've looked at Bullshop, but hate to pay shipping to Utah. Do I look for .504 bullets or something a little larger.

Is Pyrodex P the powder to use since I see that on his website alot.

P works well in Whites. The super 91 I had would work with oatmeal and still shoot tiny groups :lol: . One fine rifle and I have been kicking myself for a while over selling it.

Bullets for Whites

Hey, Congrats on getting a White, have two. For Conicals, get in touch with Dave at No Excuse: www.muzzleloading-bullets.com . Phone #801 776-1418 tell him what you got and he will set you up. More you buy the shipping gets cheaper. He is a Real Gentleman.

Ditto what BigGolfNut said about No Excuse Bullets. Another place to order nice connicals from http://bullshop.gunloads.com. Either place provide top notch service and their bullets shoot great.

Also, while a lot of us DWB's like to shoot 70gr of Swiss 3F powder. You also can't go wrong with Pryodex P. It's a lot cheaper and is still Doc's #1 powder that Doc still recommends. Its dirtier than other powders and you need to clean your rifle, but then again, you need to clean your rifle anyway.

Doc just dropped the rifle, and some 440gr & 600gr Powerpunch bullets off to me this morning. Can't wait to go shoot it.

For what it is worth.. I have been getting excellent accuracy out of my Whites with Triple Seven 2f. Sabotloader kind of lead me in this direction as he was shooting plastic out of his White with some amazing accuracy using Triple Seven. So I was on the range one day, shot some plastic and being lazy did not change powders and used Triple Seven with conical bullets. The BullShop 460 grain to be exact. WOW!! was all I could say. With 80 and 85 grains of that T-7 that White of mine just kept stacking them. So if you have some of that powder around do not be worried... try it. I shoot it off with a #11 cap and have no misfires. I have also shot numerous rounds without swabbing. You will be able to tell when you finally have to swab.

You have a great rifle. I can not wait to see your range report and see your impressions of a great rifle.

Thanks I'll try some T-7, I have some Pyrodex P & Select I'll try also. I've been reading, and is sounds like the 460gr bullets are the ones to shoot. I only have the bullets Doc gave me so I need to get some more soon. I'd also love to cast my own sometime.

Back