Fliers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chick

Reaction score
Do any of you experience fliers? I can get a rifle to group 1 1/2" or better, then it suddenly throws a flier 6 inches off, with no apparent reason. I am using 777 (2 X 50gr) Hornady SST & sabot. Win 209 primers.

Chick, I've got some loose ff T7 if you wanna try it next time your up.
It'd give me a good excuse to burn some powder too. :)

It could just simply be a bad shot, for whatever reason (flinched, etc.). Happens to everyone now and then.

Other things that can cause it is you set the bullet different. I've become real aware of that in how I set a bullet. I try to use the same pressure all the time. Another thing to keep in mind is swabbing.

But most of my fliers, I find are my fault. I cut down the number of them a lot by being more careful of the manner I address the rifle and the shot.

Most of mine im fairly sure were a flinch. I use a lead sled now for more serious testing.

Next most likely, seating pressure variation with loose powder or accidentally crushing a pellet. Just a single crack in a pellet can cause a good sized variation.

Switching to only loose powder and taking my time has cut it down a fair amount but it still happens. I also take out 2 guns at a time to give the other one time to cool down at the range.

Ive used the same bullets/sabots in both my 45 and 50s and they seem to be pretty consistent. Are these the low drags or standard SSTs? The standards in my 45 have been awesome. The low drags in my 50s can be more finicky.

There is quite a number of ways to get fliers. If you use 777 and do not swab every shot you will get fliers.
If you do not get the same wad pressure you will get a different impact point for each pressure.
If you use 777pellets you need to weight them and group them according to weight you may have to throw a few out now and then that would cause fliers.
If you use pellets and crush them or do not get the load seated well enough.
That's just a few that come to mind off hand. Lee

I clean with water, then swab dry, then Wonderlube, then swab excess out, Bore Butter and swab out excess. Then fire primer to clear flash hole. It will print several in 1 1/2" or less, then throw a flier 6". I can guarantee that flinching is not the problem. The bore is clean and dry, bullet seated to the same depth and checked. I have seen that others have had the same problem with the 777 pellets. I think the mentioned pellet weight, may be an issue. I'm going to try the Blackhorn 209, if I can find some! Seems that not too many suppliers with out ordering and paying hazmat.

Fliers were always my biggest concern, as I was concerned I'd make a bad hit and wound an animal. After following some of the advice and tips that I picked up here, I've virtually eliminated fliers. With the exception of a flinch now and then.

Consistent seating pressure
Letting the barrel cool down(during range sessions)
BH 209

Chick
I get my blackhorn from Powder Valley they charge 24 a can right now I check yesterday if you buy a case at a time like I do that brings the cost to 27 a can with hazmat and shipping. If you live close to Winfield KS you might drive over after you call-800-227-4299 and see if they will sell over the counter. Lee

I wish I lived closer to somewhere they sold it. I live in Southeast Texas. I am going to order from Powder Valley. Was hoping to get a couple of others to split the hazmat, but that doesn't look like it is going to happen. Don't know what is causing the fliers, but suspect it has something to do with inconsistent ignition, for whatever reason. I run patches after the water, until they are dry, then the wonderlube and bore butter. I found that when I just use wonderlube, I could not get the groups I could get, when using both. I always run a patch after the lube and butter, to get out the excess, then fire a primer to clear the flash hole. Don't get me wrong, or think me arrogant, but I have literally shot thousands of rounds in NRA Smallbore and High Power competition, plus I coached a smallbore team for 7 years, and have done so much bench work, with different guns, that I am certain that I am not flinching. It might not happen with the loose 777, but I would still have to contend with the cleaning. Does the BH209 make much smoke?

Chick,
The lube/bore butter are likely the cause of your fliers. Just swap and re-load.

ha! without it, I was all over the paper. It about drove me crazy! Not use to that, after working up so many loads in metallic cartridges.

Chick said:
........................................ Does the BH209 make much smoke?

No, not much, but there is smoke. Recommend you not use the standard black powder solvents, and lubes with BH209. Use Hoppes # 9, and similar products with BH209. You may find better accuracy with BH209.

Which rifle are you shooting CHICK? Do you know which sabot you have?

Currently, I have been shooting the Evolution Premier LD by Traditions. I started with the Low Drag sabots that come with the SST, then, the next bunch of bullets had a black 4 petal sabot with them, that were longer than the low drag sabots. I have since ordered a bag of the Low Drag, 3 petal sabots from MMP. I think they work better than the 4 petal ones. Even the base of the sabot is different.

From what I have read about the BH209, I was not planning to have to use the various lubes and such.

Regardless of the powder/pellet you choose, you shouldn't lube the bore, it prevents the sabot from biting into the rifling. Perhaps a little more experimentation with a good fitting sabot may help. I'm not familiar with that rifle, perhaps someone who shoots one may chime in with some known combinations.

Latest posts

Back