Which Powerbelt should I order?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quigley

Reaction score
About to place an order for some powerbelts for my new Accura. Should I get the HPs or Aerotips? 245g or 295g? Will be deer and hog hunting out to 100 yards. Probaly should try both but those PBs are pricey. Yea FG Im going to start em around 70g of RS Pyrodex.

I like the 295gr HP,but as stated the Hornady FPB's are legit to.I hope to try them out some more next hunting season.Hornady is suppose to come out with a 300gr bullet this spring.

Steve

the Platinums do really darn good in my accura ive only shot the 338s in the accura so far. But for hogs, 295gr +

as soon as i get my INSERT IGNORE mold repair ( needs a new sprue cutter plate) i can set you up with a supply to try out on those hogs.

any particular reason your not going with a saboted bullet. PBs never shot well outta my bergara barrel no matter what powder charge.

txhunter58 said:
Why pay that much for a bullet when you can get one that can do anything the powerbelt can do and more, at a 20% cheaper price. And out to 100 yards, these bullets fly flat. I can use a dead on hold out to 120 yards:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

However, if I were hunting hogs with powerbelts, I would use the 348 gr.
The FPBs seem to have alot of mixed reviews. Some like em some hate em. Guess thats the same with the PBs also. How would the 300g XTP mag in a sabot perform on hogs? Seems these have great reviews. Guess it all depends on what the Accura likes.

OptimaAndy said:
any particular reason your not going with a saboted bullet. PBs never shot well outta my bergara barrel no matter what powder charge.
No particular reason. Ive always shot sabots in my Triumph. 250g Shockwaves. This is my first CVA. Thought I would give the PBs a try.

Some where along the wat give the Hornady FPB a try. It is the first conical that has shot really good out of all my guns.

If you are set on PBs i would get the 295 Aerotip if you want to use them on both. The Platinums are supposed to be good too. On hogs i want max penetration.

You never know when it may be "needed" to stop a angry 300lb hog. In Mo they are considered a menace and Shoot On Sight according to MDC.

quigley

Unless you are really stuck on the PowerBelt - i really would suggest to you that there are so many bullets on the market that are far more dependable and have a great terminal performance.

I know their are a lot of people that realy like them and have a good success with them, shoot even my hunting buddy shoots them, he chose them for their easy loading capabilities. But if you look around and read the posts you will see there has been a lot of nightmares with them also.

With that new Accura you really do not have to limit yourself to the CVA recommended bullets. With that barrel the bullet world is wide open to you.

Just look at GM54-120's avatar photo. Wicked cutting pedals, 100 % weight retention almost always passthrough performance...what's not to like? K.I.S.S. right?

quigley said:
txhunter58 said:
Why pay that much for a bullet when you can get one that can do anything the powerbelt can do and more, at a 20% cheaper price. And out to 100 yards, these bullets fly flat. I can use a dead on hold out to 120 yards:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

However, if I were hunting hogs with powerbelts, I would use the 348 gr.
The FPBs seem to have alot of mixed reviews. Some like em some hate em. Guess thats the same with the PBs also. How would the 300g XTP mag in a sabot perform on hogs? Seems these have great reviews. Guess it all depends on what the Accura likes.

I have not heard any bad reports as far as terminal performance, have you? The same can not be said about PBs. Some people think they are hard to load (you have to learn the tricks for loading them) and some people can't get them to shoot straight (some guns just don't like some bullets), but if you learn how to load them, and they shoot straight out of your gun, they are great bullets. Only way you will know is to try them.

I shoot the 295gr hp with 100gr pyro pellets out of my MK85. Thats the only bullet the gun will shoot well. It groups as good as a high power rifle does at 75 yards. I didnt want to be stuck just shooting PB's so I picked up an Omega which I am using a Nosler 260 as a bullet of choice in that gun.
Good luck

greatbasin said:
Just look at GM54-120's avatar photo. Wicked cutting pedals, 100 % weight retention almost always passthrough performance...what's not to like? K.I.S.S. right?

Barnes Spitfire 285gr

Yep that is a TRUE premium priced bullet and wont fail. It does prefer to be driven hard though. The normal X bullet Expanders are great too and dont require the fps for great performance.

They are what i use when the bullet must not fail or you may become the hunted. :wink:

Franksauto

You will be real happy with those Noslers, especially as compared to the PowerBelt.

I have been using Noslers for 30 years and they have always worked well for me. In testing completed by a nation company they found that the Nosler would expand to extents over a greater spread of velocities than any other bullet. It also has great penetration, hydrostatic shock, and weight retention. That 260 would be do a big number on a hog.

It is really to bad that Nosler has dropped the Hunting Hand Gun Patitions from their line, altough I have plenty at this time. I think? they are preparing to switch over to the all copper 'E' bullet line in praration for the impending 'lead' ban

Here is an expanded Nosler...

CompositRecov-458-2-2.jpg

And here are the results... 170+ yards...

P1010001-2.jpg

:D :) 8)
I like and my accuras like the 295 gr powerbelt h/p's :!: :!: I get great groups at 50 and 100 yards. I zeroed them in for 2"s high at 50 and they are on at 100. Never had any problems with loading. Pretty easy really compared to some sabot bullets I've seen being used. Unless I'm missing something, I've watched shooters at the range work up a sweat trying to seat their 2nd or 3 sabots. IMHO, SHOOTING IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN :!: :!: NOT WORK :!: :!: I'll stay with my powerbelts. I guess it all depends on what your rifles like. I took 2 does this season. Pass thru's on both. 1 heart shot which took out 1/3 of the heart. Shot was 33 yards. The second doe was 40/45 yards and that powerbelt took out her lungs and liver. Blood trail for both could have followed at night. Good luck in making your choice :!: THERE'S ALLOT OF BULLETS OUT THERE :!:

theres also the thor conical, they shoot amazing out of my accura. they aint cheap for target practice but for hunting, the cost is super cheap as the performance they deliver is superb

In testing completed by a nation company they found that the Nosler would expand to extents over a greater spread of velocities than any other bullet.

Thats why I use them exclusivly in my saboted loads - if paying premium prices, why not have premium proformance at the widest range of velocity?

I have had good success with the 245 grn AT
I pushed it to hard the first time (100 grn) backed it down to 80 grn they worked fine.
Two shots,two dead deer.

Back