2nd buck with my Optima Pro .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flhtr

Reaction score
I shot a 6 point Monday morning. I was using 90 grains of BH 209 and a 200 grain Hornady HP/XTP. Those XTP's sure do inflict some serious damage. I think I'll go cook some Venison Piccata now! :D

Congratulations on the deer. How far away was the deer, where did you hit it, did you get pass through, and how much damage was done to the internal organs?

Sounds like some good eating you have going on there.

The shot was about 40 yards Cayuga. I hit him behind the right shoulder and the bullet exited out of his left shoulder. I couldn't find the bullet but I did find two small pieces of the jacket. The pieces were on the inside edge of the exit wound. The only damage to the organs was one of the lungs had collapsed. The serious damage I was referring to was the exit wound. I'm not sure how to send a picture. I'll try to figure it out. If you guys need the recipe to Venison Piccata let me know! Thanks you guys for the congrats!

If you guys need the recipe to Venison Piccata let me know!

Flhtr....
I'd like that recipe....sounds good. Congrats on the late season buck.
Zen

Recipe

yes I want that recipe as well, Those 200 grain bullets do a great job, I am glad to see the 40 yard shot worked and the bullet worked that close w/ that load.

congrats what unit did you shoot him in? I still havent got me one this year i misssed an oppurtunity with a nice one, i let him run right by me. Get some pictures if you can

Congrats on the buck! I love those 200 grain XTP's too - I've been pushing them behind 95 grains of T7 with great results- got a shed buck this year at 90 yards. Nice!!!

Recipe ingredients: Backstraps cut into 1/2" medallions. (You can use any cut of meat that you like.) 1 stick of butter. (Clariified if you like.) 1 lemon. 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley. 1 tablespoon of capers. 3/4 cup of white wine. Flour. Add salt and pepper to the flour. Coat the venison in the flour and cook in the butter. 2 minutes before cooking the venison to your desired doneness add the white wine, capers, parsley, and the juice from the lemon. Cook for 2 minutes longer and then enjoy! If you like your venison well done, cook until golden brown. I hope this explaination of this recipe makes sense to you guys. Funman, I was in Unit #2. By the way, I shot a 4 point yesterday! :D

Funman, I was in Unit #2. By the way, I shot a 4 point yesterday!
Great job, i was in unit two for awhile but saw nothing but does the whole time. I hope to do better late muzzle season.

Funman, the deer will be settled down quite a bit since there won't be any dogs chasing them for the rest of the year. The rut should be in full swing when it opens up for late muzzleloader.

Thx buddy for the good out look, i need it ill stay in touch and let you know how i do , i took a weeks leave for that hunt. thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back