Powder Test - Swiss - Shuetzen - Pyrodex P

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Not a whats best, video. Just going doing a little testing.

3fg Powder Test.jpg

Last edited:
Can you compare 2f powders using only 60 grains?

Are you swabbing between powder changes?

Marty, today I used a water based patch lube which allows me to shoot all day long without powder fouling becoming an issue.

Actually Swiss shot its best for me ever, today. I used RWS #11 caps and the Swiss seemed to tighten up a lot from results I've had in the past when using CCI caps. Now will this stand true when I switch to my hunting lube? Not sure, but I will tell next time I go out shooting and give it a try.

Marty, today I used a water based patch lube which allows me to shoot all day long without powder fouling becoming an issue.

Actually Swiss shot its best for me ever, today. I used RWS #11 caps and the Swiss seemed to tighten up a lot from results I've had in the past when using CCI caps. Now will this stand true when I switch to my hunting lube? Not sure, but I will tell next time I go out shooting and give it a try.
Just curious, being a "water based" lube, would using it in cold weather be an issue?
---- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. 60 grains seems like a really light load to get meaningful results...but again you're using fff. When I used less than 70 grains(ff) my groups went all over the place.:rolleyes:

not for target shooting no. For hunting? No way, not even for warm weather hunting.

Hunting means I'll be using grease lubes, specifically mink oil. Liquid lubes are great at the range or when plinking and I prefer them for that role. But in the bush a gun may or may not get fired. If it isn't fired it can be left loaded or left a while until firing/cleaning is convenient.

Hunting means I'll be using grease lubes, specifically mink oil. Liquid lubes are great at the range or when plinking and I prefer them for that role. But in the bush a gun may or may not get fired. If it isn't fired it can be left loaded or left a while until firing/cleaning is convenient.
I use just a little Butter Bore, and the stuff has worked great for me for hunting, and clean up has been super easy. I use pine scented stuff....

I'll admit to using Bore Butter some in the past for hunting. About the only thing I can say for it is that it's a little bit better than Crisco.

What caliber rifle?
Is 60 grains the most accurate load for that particular rifle?
PRB or Conicals?

Sorry, my Internet connection is not the greatest. Videos freeze, or refuse to load.

The Pyrodex group is shocking.
While I have not shot Pyrodex since the 1980's (CVA Percussion "Kentucky" rifle, .45 cal. using patched .440 round ball. I forget patch thickness and lube used.) my groups using FFg and/or Fg real Dupont black and/or RS and/or CTG grade Pyrodex (I shot all 4) hit the same point of aim using the 120 grain load that particular rifle liked.

Latest posts

Back