T-EZ or TMZ what works best in the TC Omega?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry

Reaction score
I have been reading posts about the Barnes T-EZ. A smaller diameter version of the Barnes TMZ bullet for tighter barrels such as the Omega.

So how consistently tight is the Omega? Is choosing the T-EZ over the TMZ a "no-brainer" or should I try both bullets? My Omega was new in 07, if that matters any.

I think the diameter is the same the difference is the base of the bullet. TEZ is flat I believe and TMZ is boatail. I know my TEZ came with a blue easy glide sabot. Dont know what cames with the TMZ, I believe it is a special yellow sabot for the boatail bullet. The TEZ with the supplied blue sabot loaded pretty nice in my dads CVA Optima and shot very well just a touch over an inch at 100 yards. As far as I know the CVA barrels are suppose to be pretty tight. You might just have to give them a try.
Doug

I did significant testing of both , in my Encore 209x50. They loaded similiar, the TEZ a little easier. Both shot well, but the TMZ was decidedly better at higher velocities. I finally chose a load of 120gr BH209 with the 290gr TMZ. MOA at 100, 2 1/2" at 200 yards.

The difference I found was in the plastic sabots after shooting. As the loads increased over 100grs, the blue sabots in the TEZ were found to be damaged and in pieces (broken petals, etc). The yellow sabots from the TMZ were in tack, even up to 120-125 grains of BH209.

In my Encore, this made all the difference. Now, I needed higher velocities for long range elk hunting. If you are using lower velocities, the TEZ may work fine.

Good shooting. OEH

I have a NEF SS Sidekick that has a tight bore. My understanding is that Omega's are also traditionally on the tighter side as well.

I started shooting this ML last year with the 250 gr. TC Shockwave Super Glides upon the recommendation of a friend.
They loaded easily and shot extremely accurately.

I wanted to switch to the Barnes bullets this year and purchased the 250 gr. TMZ's (yellow sabots). Loaded EXTREMELY hard.

Not to be discouraged, I then purchased the 250 gr. T-EZ's (blue sabots).
They seem to load maybe a touch harder than the TC's.
Not difficult by any means, just a nice steady resistance all the way down.

After playing with my load, wound up shooting a 1/2" 3-shot group with the T-EZ's over 100 gr. of loose 777 at 75 yds.

Thanks MI Sabot. Your experience is what I was hoping to find.

Chuck Hawks wrote an article where he states: "Barnes has recently introduced their ?TEZ bullet,? a flat-based version of their innovative boat tail ?TMZ? line. The Barnes ?Spitfire T-EZ? comes with a distinctive blue sabot and is the first choice for most Thompson Encores, Triumphs, and Omega?s out there". The article is interesting.

In his article, Chuck Hawks recommends the T-EZ in the 50 cal. TC Omega over the traditional TMZ. I don't know who Chuck Hawks is so I was looking to confirm what he wrote. The Barnes bullets are not cheap and I prefer not to pay for bullets that are probably not going to work in my gun.

btw, his article is a good read. Helpful for everyone interested in the Barnes bullets and not just TC owners. If interested, check it out at http://www.chuckhawks.com/barnes_bullet ... loader.htm

I've read that article before. Some great reading in his muzzleloading section.

The two guys I know with Omega's are both shooting TC Super Glides with great accuracy with no loading issues.
Accordingly, if I had an Omega and had to make a choice of which Barnes bullets to start with, I would choose the T-EZ's.
Since the T-EZ's are a flat based vs. a boat tail bullet, there will also be a greater availability of after market sabots should you desire to experiment further.

hey oregonelkhunter,
i recently bought a T/C omega and having a difficult time dialing it in. im shooting 250gr shockwaves with the blue tip. i have noticed the sabots are coming apart. my load right now is 2 50/50 777 pellets. should i back the load down?

Regardless of the prevailing trend of Omega's having tight barrels, I don't think you can avoid trying out different loads with your own gun. I have an Omega X7, and have not had too much trouble loading a variety of loads. I have been shooting the Hornady FPB conicals, which by some accounts, are extremely tough to load in Omegas. With my gun, they load fairly easy.

The point being, on this site you will get some great starting advice on what to try, but what works in your Omega may surprise you.

jmfairbanks said:
hey oregonelkhunter,
i recently bought a T/C omega and having a difficult time dialing it in. im shooting 250gr shockwaves with the blue tip. i have noticed the sabots are coming apart. my load right now is 2 50/50 777 pellets. should i back the load down?

Backing the load down might work, but I always hate having to give up the velocity. Have you tried the Barnes TMZ (not TEZ). My groups using the TMZ just got better as the load increased. My best groups were at max. load (120+ grains of BH209).

If you are married to shockwaves (which are excellent bullets) and you do not need the velocity, go lower. But, if it were me, I would change the bullet or the sabot before going lower. Also, consider BH209 powder. Working with loose powder is easy. Good hunting. OEH

dalberg said:
I As far as I know the CVA barrels are suppose to be pretty tight.
Doug

cva's are in the .500 to .501" range.

My cva optima i had preferred t he mmp-24 sabot with a barnes expander.

i had to order the tmz due to the fact no one in the area carries them. so im waiting on them. but i do have 30 shockwaves left, i guess i could just use them for fishing weights.

the TMZis a boat tailed bullet.... ...and the T-EZ is a flat bottom bullet ..both have nylon inserts and basicaly are the same ...for some reason the flat base T-EZ is more accurate at 100yards ..maybe the sabot retains its shape better with the flat base ...

no wonder BARNES came out with the new T-EZ somebody did they're homework.. realy glad that they did .... :lol:

I have thier booklet that comes along with the bullets right here and it looks exactly like a expander mz with a polymer tip.in the booklet they even mention it's expansion is exactly like the MZ bullet. i shoot the TEZ 250 gr's.the TEZ appears to be a expander MZ bullet with a polymer tip and a smaller dia sabot.thier extremely accurate out of a T/C rifle.110 gr 777 or BH.let's hope remington keeps the quality of the bullet the same.

Toby Bridges did alot of shooting with the new T-EZ bullets. He found the same problem with the factory supplied sabots coming apart at higher velocities. He recommends the Harvester Crushed Rib sabots ( the black ones) as a replacement. They do not come apart and accuracy is greatly improved. I have shot about 100 of the 290 grain Barnes T-EZ bullets out of my T/C Omega 50 caliber using the Harvester Crushed Ribs and their accuracy is incredible. Most days it is around one inch at 100 yards. On my bad days it is around 1 1/ 2 inches. I have shot 2 deer with this bullet at about 100 and 120 yards and both dropped in their tracks. Check out Toby's website ( www.hpmuzzleloading.com). Also, the crushed ribs do not come apart with the 120 grains of Blackhorn 209 that I shoot.

Latest posts

Back