Mean Green Zap Glass Cleaner w/ vinegar?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
I was perusing the local dollar store this morning for some odds and ends and stumbled upon Mean Green Glass Cleaner. At first I thought it was Simple Green, but it's not. Does not contain any ammonia. Says not to use on wood or varnished surfaces, but says it's o.k for stainless steel. I picked up a 40 oz bottle and took it to the range with me. That triple 7 crud ring that was so prevalent with my Encore was non existant today. The stuff did a really good job clearing the crud out of the bore. It has a chelating agent, so I assume it will take out some of the leading/plastic fouling as well. At a $1.75/40oz, I might not be buying any T/C 13 anytime soon. :)

For the chemically literate, the glass cleaner contains: Water, Isopropyl Alcohol, Glycol Ether, Vinegar, Surfactants, Chealant, Fragrance (?!)

When I get to the big city, I often times pick up a bottle of the window washer refill at the dollar store. It works good for quick cleaning and other things.. Sounds like you have a winner...

How did the rifle shoot for you?

Dave: Really could not tell how well the rifle was shooting today. Mainly because I was FLINCHING and throwing shots. Sometimes I have a bad day at the range like that. Today was that day. :(

I also use "Mean Green" cleaner to clean my muzzleloaders. I pour a couple of inches into a small plastic container and drop the breechplug and depending on the rifle the hammer assembly into this. I then dip some patches into it and run usually 3-4 throught the bore until clean. It works great on triple seven as well as pyrodex. Just brush off the breechplug and/or hammer and wipe clean, run a pipe cleaner through the plug and put it all back together and finiish up with BC sheath. Easiest way to get her clean that I have tried.

I shot at the range today,and used the "Mean Green" w/vinagar,instead of windex w/vinagar. I used it to swab the gun between shots,and it was unbelieveable,how well it works. The crud ring wasn't even a problem,it disolves it so well,that you didn't even notice it. I ran a couple of wet patches through the barrel,then a brush,followed by another wet patch. Then one dry patch,and it was clean,it also cleaned the breech plug spotless. If you haven't tried this,you need to,it's great! :D

What dollar store in particular are you finding Mean Green Glass cleaner at? I live in upstate NY and have about 4 or 5 different dollar stores around. My first try was unsuccessful. Thanks.

Mike

The Dollar General Store. There may not be a chain of them in your area.

I picked up 2 bottles tonight. Thanks for the info, you saved me a few trips.

Mike

Yeah, I gotta thank doegirl for the tip! This is the best stuff I've ever used.

Back