Powder Horn, fun project ( I think)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
Picked up a couple of steer horns to try my luck at powder horn making.  The first thing I found out: It's more work than I thought it would be. :shock:  I've been scraping the scale with a scraper for a while now trying to get it some what smooth.  The scale is actually kind of deep.  I cut the first one (the right hand carry) down to what I figured is a suitable length.  It's a good 15" measured along the outside curve.  This is my first attempt at making a horn.  I do have a book I'm working from 

Below is pictured the set of horns so you can see kind of a before and my work in progress.
bTSUiw.jpg

WWj9cp.jpg

ZjwoJ4.jpg

Bob, I'm going to add some flats and some moldings for the shoulder strap to tie onto.  I made a double lobe on the base for the strap.  I think the horn is too dark for scrimshaw.

Looking good! I actually like the rougher texture than a polished horn. Just person preference of course. The color in that horn is going to look amazing.

Smokin' Joe said:
Picked up a couple of steer horns to try my luck at powder horn making.  The first thing I found out: It's more work than I thought it would be. :shock:  I've been scraping the scale with a scraper for a while now trying to get it some what smooth.  The scale is actually kind of deep.  I cut the first one (the right hand carry) down to what I figured is a suitable length.  It's a good 15" measured along the outside curve.  This is my first attempt at making a horn.  I do have a book I'm working from 

Below is pictured the set of horns so you can see kind of a before and my work in progress.
bTSUiw.jpg

Joe
Looks great so far. I've been doing it for a long time and it is fun??? but as you've said it's a LOT of work!! The color is really nice. I can't wait to see the finished product. I have 6 here right now that I can't find the energy to work on. lol
I think it's this doggoned Winter cold? It's friggin' freezing here in NE Pa. not to mention the 10 inches of snow I had to move yesterday.
Stoney
ZjwoJ4.jpg

Stoney, I was going to contact you and buy one of your horns and then a "senior moment" came over me and I decided to try making one.  I think the real challenge will be getting the end cap sized and installed properly with those lobes on there for tying down the strap.  If I mess it up I'll be sending you the other horn for your collection.  :D

Smokin' Joe said:
Stoney, I was going to contact you and buy one of your horns and then a "senior moment" came over me and I decided to try making one.  I think the real challenge will be getting the end cap sized and installed properly with those lobes on there for tying down the strap.  If I mess it up I'll be sending you the other horn for your collection.  :D
Joe
 Thanks, I appreciate you thinking about my powder horns and a possible purchase in the future? I have a .50 cal. Flinter to build and I need a small horn for a primer. Every thing I have is a might too big. As for cutting the cap. I found a great way to get an accurate outline shape? I don't know if you're interested or not? I'm sure you have a method already?  But I will give you this piece of DIY info. When you need to draw a line around the horn for filing strap grooves or cutting the top off here's how I go about it. Go to the hardware store and get a crap load of those rubber O rings in about every size. They're available in the plumbing section. "Roll" one of the O rings down over the tip and around the horn to where you want to draw your line. This is the easiest way I have EVER found to draw lines around a horn. You just carefully take your pencil and follow the outer edge on one side of the O ring or the other, works great EVERY time. For a long time I used Rubber bands, but they're to flimsy, they stay put better because they're flat, but they're too flimsy and they move when you draw. You'd be better off trying to draw it free hand.
I hope some of this helped? Let me know if you need an idea for drawing that contour for the cap.
God bless:
Stoney

One problem I encountered was having files and rasps that will cut the horn.  I'm trying to put some flats on the horn and my files won't hardly scratch it. I found some USA made Nicholson files on eBay and I think they'll do the job.  But, of course, I'll have to wait a week for them to arrive in the mail.

I'll get some "O" rings, they're cheap too, at the hardware store. 

Thanks Stoney

Smokin' Joe said:
One problem I encountered was having files and rasps that will cut the horn.  I'm trying to put some flats on the horn and my files won't hardly scratch it. I found some USA made Nicholson files on eBay and I think they'll do the job.  But, of course, I'll have to wait a week for them to arrive in the mail.

I'll get some "O" rings, they're cheap too, at the hardware store. 

Thanks Stoney
Joe
 I've never really had issues filing/rasping horn? I use double cut Bastard files, flat and half round. Get yourself one of those 4 way rasps. They're about 7 or 8 inches long with 4 different cutting surfaces. They have a flat fine? a flat coarse, a rounded fine??? and a rounded coarse. You can usually find them in the tool section at Walmart for about 6 or 7 bucks, or from your local Ho Chi Minh tool guy? I've had mine for 40 years, be lost without it. Scraping is great for a glass finish once you're done filing and rasping, but it'll take you from now till the cows come home to get anywhere on a fresh horn. Start with some rasps, and coarse (80) grit Emory paper, then go to medium cut files and 150 grit paper until you see some forward progress. It's a loooong dirty process Joe, but you'll get there. Keep your files and rasps clean. Once they fill with horn dust, they're useless! I keep a small wire brush close by and "brush" out the dust ever now and again. When the file starts "skating" over the horn it's time to clean the teeth. You might try a medium to fine wire wheel on your drill press too, to help get the rough scale off, just be careful!
 I hope some of this is useful buddy?
God bless:
Stoney

Joe
 My pleasure. I hope something I said will help? I got my 4 way before Walmart existed, so I can't say for sure that they have them, but I think they will? If not, check your local Lowes, Home Depot, or Harbor Freight. One of them HAS to have one! Good luck.
Stoney

I just returned from Home Depot.  Picked up a Nicholson 4 way rasp for $7.97.   It's working but those horns are still hard.:D

Hi Joe
 Good. I tried to send you an email earlier, but the site was down for maintenance. Walmart has them for $4.88... sorry. No body said this was easy!, but it's fun and rewarding! Good luck. Don't forget to share those finished horn pictures.
God bless:
Stoney

Stoney, you mentioned you needed a small horn for a primer.  "The Gun Works" has a lot of primer sized horns priced $5, $6, and $7 dollars.

Progress report on Powder horn.  Filed 8 flats on the lower portion and working on strap molding.  Hand filing and scraping is coming along....slowly. I think the horn I have is made out of Kevlar.   :D

7zMIPA.jpg

rMTXHp.jpg

Smokin' Joe said:
Progress report on Powder horn.  Filed 8 flats on the lower portion and working on strap molding.  Hand filing and scraping is coming along....slowly. I think the horn I have is made out of Kevlar.   :D
Joe
As they would say in football, "nice first effort." MAN...you're a natural. I think you have a future as a horner. Great job, congrats. I know sometimes these can be tough. Hang in there. Lets see the finished horn soon!
God bless:
Stoney
7zMIPA.jpg

rMTXHp.jpg

Just about finished!!  End cap is pine stained with Laurel Mountain Forge - Nut Brown and a dab of liquid Ritz dye to add a little black color.
nhjVnY.jpg

vqZnJB.jpg

TfR90Y.jpg

Good-looking horn, Joe. I like the extension for the strap.

What are you using for the plug on the pouring end?

Back