Shed Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sheds

Yep its about that time, a little more snow needs to leave here in western Nebraska before I go out. look in feed patches before they get plowed up, bedding areas, trails leading to and from food and bedding. Look at favorite fence crossings where they jump it sometimes jars them off when they hit the ground or when they go thru the fence. Seems like I find the most at the fence crossings.
Wayles

That ice that we had put the deer under the cedars, since then they have been spending a lot of time there. It's a good place to check.

finding sheds

walk around aimlessly. go about 15 mph on a four wheeler in the dark and see one in the headlights. or step on one while turkey hunting. whatever you do dont say you are going shed hunting for 4 days before you go. and take along a youngster. they wont forget it for a long time

I was helping a buddy with some stands on his IL deer lease a few days ago. We found 4 sheds in our travels, the 2 largest were 8 pointers(4 on a side). We didn't look everywhere, just mostly doing the stand work.

The highlight was at 1st light after our one night stay I set up with the Foxpro & my 243 in one of my favorite box blinds. I set the caller about 10 yards in front & shoo'ed some coons out of the stand & went to predator calling. I 1st tried 20 min of intermittent 'pup in distress' with no takers. After a few minutes of pause I went to 'rabbit frenzy'. Shortly thereafter here comes 4 deer, they stopped & all looked at their backtrail in unison. I waited some & got ready & here came a coyote from their direction. One shot with the 243 & an 85 grn Sierra gameking did the job.

Latest posts

Back