Powder Horn Explosion today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Don't worry! It was not filled with powder.

I just finished this horn up, rubbed everything down and made it look pretty, fit a spout plug and went over to the air compressor to blow any dust out.

I normally pressurize them a little to test for leaks. Nothing, all sealed up!

I noticed the linseed oil I had rubbed on to the cap had little air bubbles. I thought that was interesting how the air was working itself through a 1" thick pine plug and I wiped it off and went to pressurize the horn again so I could get a better look at the air bubbles coming through. Boy, I guess I should have cut loose the previous pressure because when I hit the handle, a huge explosion took place, my vision went blurry, pine plug shot out and hit me in the collar bone - base of throat before bouncing up and hitting me under the chin. It had enough force to smash my jaw up and chip a tooth off. Super super sore right now, but otherwise I survived to never use compressed air again! :D Next time, I'll stick with blowing into the horn and holding it there. I just was so amazed that the air was actually able to go through that base plug and push out the linseed oil. Still interested in that, but damned if I will test it again LOL.

A good note, the epoxy I use to make sure my base plugs are solid and air tight, held together perfectly. The horn is what sheered off and ripped apart. I ended up cutting an inch off and made a new plug for it and shes setting up now, ready to be finished tomorrow.

The blow out happened at an area that was less than 1/16" thick. Awesome for carrying powder, not worth a damn for holding air pressure.
125184929_10158128799222875_1654552837407394716_n.jpg
124637559_10158128799377875_5903291443883149577_n.jpg

Wow, glad you're okay.
I thought horn end plugs were supposed to be able to release/give in the event of the BP getting ignited, so they don't become a bomb? I've never built one or had a desire to, so zero research or knowledge...
I always envisioned them just shaped to fit snugly, maybe pinned in a couple spots, and then sealed with bees wax.

they all become a bomb lol. The epoxy seal wasnt the problem, it blew out at the thinnest spot on the horn due to way to much air pressure. I made 3 yesterday and survived.

Back