Powder horn cap patterns made easy? For all you aspiring horners.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Feathers

Reaction score
Howdy folks:
Two Feathers here with a question and an idea.
 I came up with this years ago and I was wondering if anyone is interested or has a better idea about making patterns for the "cap" of a powder horn? I'm always interested in what others are doing, and I'm willing to share and listen.
 My method is almost fool proof and produces a paper "cap" pattern for any horn shape you can make. The biggest drawback I ever found was getting the INSIDE tracing of the horn exact. Tracing the outside is easy, but it doesn't really help if there are irregularities in the wall thickness of the horn. My solution works perfect every time. All you need is a sheet of Computer printer paper, a school pencil (<a href='/tags/2' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #2'>#2</a> or whatever you have), an elementary school type glue stick, and scissors.

Those are the items for making the pattern. For the actual cap, you'll need a piece of wood suitable for the interior (not seen) "Plug",White Pine works fine, some really good grade of wood glue (I use Tite Bond), a piece of good wood for the visible cap, I use Oak, and some C clamps.
 If anybody has a better idea of how to do this, I'd be interested to hear it.
If you're interested in how I make my pattern, please just ask and I'll do my best to tell/show/explain it to you with a photo tutorial. It's quick and easy.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Howdy again
 I'd like to say thanks to Frontier Gander for his awesome patch lube. Last year, I bought a tub of it for the .50 cal. percussion that I built for Doc. He still had it Friday for the sighting in. We used it on every shot and cleaned between shots with my home made cleaning solution. The patch lube made EVERY shot exactly the same as the one before. Without a doubt the best patch lube I've ever used!!! Thanks buddy!
Two Feathers

OldMtnMan said:
Two Feathers?
Yup...Two Feathers!!!
 Long story. Back in the 70's I was part of a living History village. I wore a beaver hat that I made. I always had 2 turkey feather hanging from it, I still have that hat but the feathers look pretty bad. Everyone in the camp took to calling me Two Feathers (you know the Mountain Man name thing) so it stuck. To this day there are still people who only know me as Two Feather and that was 42 years ago?
 I went by Stoney for 30 years with the country bands I was in (bass player), so I use that as my user name for lots of websites, it's easy to remember. The Two Feathers thing only pertains to these Black Powder websites! OK, I'll go back to
Stoney now. Take care Pete.

Not only the mountain men, but Indians will name you like that too.

One of my best friends is full blooded Lakota and I hang out with him and his friends which are all Lakota too. They gave me a name but i'm keeping it to myself.  :pirat:

OldMtnMan said:
Not only the mountain men, but Indians will name you like that too.

One of my best friends is full blooded Lakota and I hang out with him and his friends which are all Lakota too. They gave me a name but i'm keeping it to myself.  :pirat:
Ironically enough, I'm 75% Navajo? My dad was half and my mom was full blood. I got stuck with the German half for a last name. :(You can tell me the name, I won't blab! :twisted: 
Stoney

OldMtnMan said:
My lips are sealed.
Pete
 That's what I like.. a man with scruples. :thumbs up:  Sorry for the delay, I've been in my shop working on my BP items. Thanks.
Stoney

I got sidetracked this year with a crossbow. I'll be selling it after the hunt this year and going back to traditional muzzleloader hunting/shooting. I think i'll get a LH .54 GPR to be legal for elk with a PRB.

Maybe i'll get some stuff from you once I get back on my feet financially.

Peace bro.

OldMtnMan said:
I got sidetracked this year with a crossbow. I'll be selling it after the hunt this year and going back to traditional muzzleloader hunting/shooting. I think i'll get a LH .54 GPR to be legal for elk with a PRB.

Maybe i'll get some stuff from you once I get back on my feet financially.

Peace bro.
Pete
 Right back at ya' buddy. Good luck with your elk hunt.  I shoot lefty too. I'm Right handed for everything except Shooting, BUT... I can shoot equally well with either hand???? When you're ready; if you see something you like, let me know. I'm not above negotiating. OR if you have a particular item in mind just ask I might be able to make it for you?
God bless Brother: Keep in touch.
Stoney

There are many folks that shoot right handed and when tested they find they should switch to left hand shooting per their eyesight. 

Over the years I have seen many friends make the change and have become better shooters. I'm told I need to do the same, which I have tried but it feels to unnatural to me.

My grandfather was a 10X shooter at Friendship back in the 40's, won many championships for offhand events. He was blind in his right eye, he had to use his left eye but held the rifle right handed and leaned over the comb to aim with the left eye. It worked for him but have seen others try that with no success.

Latest posts

Back