Saxman - This should make u feel good!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
I took saxmans .45 out this late evening * Love it that i can now shoot at 7pm!!* Pretty cool out but there wasn't any wind so it was the perfect time to shoot. Plus it smells really good out with the ground having a little moisture on it.

Shooting 90gr Blackhorn209, CCI Primers and the 300gr Powerbelt Platinums. #3 shot is the lowest to the left. Don't pay any attention to the other shots in the orange, Those were from the Accura earlier today. So saxman, this is one load you can write down!

000_0927.jpg

000_0928.jpg

Im going to try 100gr BH209 tomorrow and see how that will do. And even better news, i found the perfect spot to set up a 150 yard target range!

Im sending him some 45cal 300gr PB Plats too.

I dont care for PBs BUT this one is a winner with around 90gr of BH209. I got them on sale and it turns a 45 into a thumper thats accurate and easy to load.

I was getting ready to post about if your tried them yet. They are deadly in my Accura too with upto 100gr. At 90gr they seem to perform a bit better. Using 100gr they just had more recoil without any real advantage.

Nice shooting. :yeah:

Thats one of the best groups the gun has shot. :D
Very nice.
Glad your enjoying it.
The 45 is such a pleasure to shoot,I just love that caliber

I love 45cals too.

I would rather have a 45 for most of my hunting needs and its far more pleasant for extended range sessions. Those 300 PB Plats and the Buffalo 325gr flat base HPs turn the lil 45 into a real thumper.

I bought 4 or 5 boxes of the 300gr PB Plats for the 45 when Cabelas had them on sale. First time i shot them was from my Accura and a barrel with over 20 shots thru it.

They loaded much easier than sabots but still kept very nice groups. Mine held onto about 225gr with a 100gr charge of BH209.

IMO it should make a deadly hunting load and one of the best PB options.

I think you will like these MG 165gr JHPs too for fun shooting and smaller game. The jackets on these are pretty tough for a cheap bullet. Ive got some MG 180gr JHPs on the way too if you guys want some.

I'm thinking those 300's would be great hog medicine.
I shot my 8 point with a Dead Center 195 in 45 cal and while I never recovered the bullet the deer dropped instantly.
I'm going to hold off on choosing a hunting bullet at this time cause of all the great testing going on in the off season.Spring turkey is over in a few days and I can get back out.Feeling a little better.

Back