powder containers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd123

Reaction score
New to muzzleloading but I am going with BH 209 for powder. Where do you guys purchase your powder vials at? The ones you dump your pre determined powder charge into for quick loading? I will be pre measuring all loads by weight.

Todd, I sell powder tubes. How many are you needing? I have a ton of the older screw on cap style that I am looking to unload and would make you a great deal.

In case you or someone else who is new, would happen to read this thread, do not load your black powder or BP substitute "by weight" as you said you will do. All BP should be measured by "VOLUME" so as not to have trouble you don't want!! Simply use a volumetric measuring tool, and then pour your powder charges into your chosen container (speed loaders) if you desire.

Good advice paperpunch, how ever when I work up a load combination I will throw 6 measures and weigh each to get the average then I will weigh the charges for the vials for less deviation in the charges. Each volume will be variable, even by small amts might throw off the group a touch. Just one less glitch to mess with. I also weigh each ball to 1 gr. after the testing is done and the accuracy is where I need it I can go back to just throwing the volume measure but I still weigh the balls. Just my way of doing it maybe not for everyone.

Hi Todd, glad your shooting! Just a note, my son uses the plastic flip lid tubes that hold the primer, powder, and patched ball for hunting. Since sometime in 60's, i've loaded about as many ways as one can, from formal type NMLRA shoots, rendezvous, good-old-boy belly up at the clay pit, hunting about everything I can, and finally in 80's sometime, I realized finally, again, why I shoot front stuffers. Now except for my cartridge SASS guns where I use Trailboss, I try shoot about as close as GG+ grandpaw would have when I can. I now make paper powder cartridges for my muskets and for my flint shotguns, and dbl. bbl. 10 ga. I make a separate paper shot container also. I still like to use my shot snake and horn now and then, but as I hunt mostly turkey with my shotguns now, don't need as many shots and to drag all those "hangings" through the underbrush ( bull brier and blackberry mostly). I found for hunting, the paper powder cartridges for my ,54 and use of a 4 hole loading block are as fast for reloading as i need to be now days. Man, have fun!

Yep, I only use 5.5 gn. of it for rifle and pistol, and they ring the steel and topple targets just fine. I just use a Lee dipper for the Trailboss. As you said, almost impossible to over charge and not notice. Anyhow, will only change them back to BP when I decide to pull off the R&D .45 cylinders and put on the cap/ball and readjust cylinder barrel gap.

I want to use some Trailboss but i cant find any anywhere. Maybe someday.
DL
doesn't show up at all in local shops and rarely at a local gun show. I only have what I do, cause a good friend I reload SASS rounds for was at a local trap and skeet range with a sales annex one day, two years ago, and they brought out a whole case, he bought 10 of the 8 oz. cans/plastic and brought them over, I told him that was enough to keep my great great grandkids shooting.....that fluffy stuff goes a long way....

By weight, I received a work up few months ago another member he put in the time made the chart of weight and volume side by side. He took the Volume, and then Weighed it and wrote both down to be seen. I am a volume loader, I make paper charges. So yes and no black powder and substitute can be weighed IF ONE FOLLOWS the simple rules of taking your volume and weighing, and keeping it recorded, Never just weigh BP and assume the volume is the weight your looking for.

Howdy to all shooters,hope your all doing well during this mask wearing fiasco.I have a couple question,first of all i have a CVA 45 cal. front stuffer,i asked a few weeks ago where i could find a ramrod,but one feller came up a great idea,take a wood dowel that's long enough to shove in a brass tubethen cut to size..I went all over town i had the dowel already but i could not find a brass tube anywhere in town went to most the hardware stores and to sportsmens warehouse and ended up buyin one i don't care for,dang near like rubber but if i could find a brass tube to slide it in it would still work ok.As for question number two,how much volume of powder would it take for CVA 45,it's been a long while since i've done any shooting but i'm getting things ready to get back out there.I thank you all for any help.

Howdy to all shooters,hope your all doing well during this mask wearing fiasco.I have a couple question,first of all i have a CVA 45 cal. front stuffer,i asked a few weeks ago where i could find a ramrod,but one feller came up a great idea,take a wood dowel that's long enough to shove in a brass tubethen cut to size..I went all over town i had the dowel already but i could not find a brass tube anywhere in town went to most the hardware stores and to sportsmens warehouse and ended up buyin one i don't care for,dang near like rubber but if i could find a brass tube to slide it in it would still work ok.As for question number two,how much volume of powder would it take for CVA 45,it's been a long while since i've done any shooting but i'm getting things ready to get back out there.I thank you all for any help.
As for rod it will be ok, just choke down on it when ramming do not try a full arms length to push. As for powder start with a 50g load work up 10-15 grain increments until you achieve your "Zen Load" different balls/sabots different patches can produce up to 3 to 5 inch difference in grouping., as for "Brass Tip" just use a piece of old brass that would fit dowel example 9mm .40 S/W. .223 .243 what ever works and serves a purpose, eh looks ok

Latest posts

Back