Newbie Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishn-Hunter

Reaction score
Hey all this is my first post on this awesome website, unfortunately I am a little pressed for time for a drawn out intro as i am heading to work soon so my apologies for jumping right to it. I am very green when it comes to muzzle loading, i know very little compared to probably 99% of you guys. I am going to be breaking the seal on my muzzle loader and me muzzle loading this weekend.
I have gotten different opinions from a few people on these 2 different primers i have purchased and would like to clear the air between the two.
I have one package of Remington Black Powder Kleanbore Muzzle loading 209 primers. I am told they are the cleanest and most reliable primers while others tell me they are no good and their claims are just marketing ploy's and do not recommend i use them.
The other is a package of Cheddite 209's which were highly recommended, the Remington's are twice the price as the Cheddite. If you guys would be so kind to clear this issue up for me that would be greatly appreciated.

The other thing i am having trouble with is choosing a bullet for my moose hunting trip this Septembers rut, I was advised to use these TC Shock Wave Spire Point bonded Sabot bullets in 300 grain that i did purchase.
I am shooting a Traditions Persuit XLT with a ported and fluted 28" barrel topped with a Bushnel Elite 3200 in 1.5-4.5 variable magnification, also using 777 50/50 and 50/30 pellets.
Any advise and help you guys can give me on these issues and setup would be hugely appreciated as I will be laying this setup on a bench Saturday afternoon or Sunday depending on the weather.
Thank you in advance.
Fishn-Hunter

I like your bullets, I think they will be fine. The 'kleenbore' primers are a lower flash type M-L primer. They should be fine with the pyrodex pellets you plan to use. With some of the M-L propellants you have to use an optimum primer to get the most out of it, reliably.

With plenty of time before the moose hunt how about trying out the newer Blackhorn 209 powder? You would have to go loose but It wouldn't be difficult. It would give you some more FPS and you could set the gun down after shooting without cleaning right away. When shooting pyrodex be sure and clean the gun after shooting.

Welcome fisnn-hunter.. ill throw in what little knowledge i have. I dont think you mentioned what powder you were using , but your primers will do just fine over pyro, or 777. If your using Blackhorn you will need a shotgun primer designed for shotshelss. Personally i have shot just about all the brand name primers and i do not see much difference other than fouling, some are more fouling than others. I do not know about the bullets you are using , ill let some else chime in with that one. Good luck on your hunt hope you get a big moose and we get to see some pics :lol:

I like T7 pellets for hunting { ease of use }, but like to use black horn 209 at the range.Very little clean up.

I had ok results with the Remington clean bore before switching to Winchester 209 and now I use CCI209 primers.The Cheddites are hard to come by around where I live..

As you stated,there are alot of people on this forum with alot of knowledge.I try to soak up as much as I can.I know it has helped me.

Good luck shooting.

Steve

As far as bullet selection, you may want to consider Hornady's .458" 325 gr FTX bullet. It will perform great at the velocities that you will be able to attain. I use them in a .54 Rem 700ML with 160 grs FFG T7 and they clock at 1975 fps. I made a 200+yd shot this year with great results. In your .50 cal use them with MMP orange sabots or Harvester Black Crush-Rib sabots depending which fit tighter. Try the new Blackhorn 209 propellant you won't be sorry. The Hornady's 325FTX's can be had for around .50 each. At 1975 fps and deadon at 100 yds, they only drop 8 1/2" at 200 yds. Set your rifle up with a Mil-Dot type scope or one of Burris' Ballistic reticles. Either really helps make a quick shot at longer ranges. And PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE! Good Hunting!

Both of the primers will work fine. I use the Remington Kleenbore Primers and never had a problem with them. If you are shooting pellets, they are preferred because they help to keep the ignition area cleaner then some of the other primers. With your rifle I do not think you will have a problem with either of them.

As for the bullet, well the one you picked should work fine. Although some others to consider are the 250 and 300 grain Barnes MZ Expanders. I shoot a 250 grain out of a Remington Genesis which is the same thing as a Traditions Yukon with great accuracy. Although Moose being a thick skinned hard to kill animal, I would try the 300 grain Barnes as well. They are a copper bullet made to expand and retain their weight.

Another good bullet is the Nosler. All of them should do well on Moose. Now for the kicker, I am basing my recommendations on other peoples posts and some observations of the bullet I have seen on my range. I have never shot a moose with a muzzleloader. But if they can do it with a round ball, a Barnes should be a piece of cake.

Welcome to the forum. Its good to have you here.

:D :) 8)
Remington Kleanbore Primers are the only primers I use. Never had a miss fire or hang fire with them. You won't get a burn/crud ring with them either :!: :!: :!:

Ive used both. Kleanbores are fine for any powder but BH209. Cheddites are hotter and will ignite BH209 but may be more than you need for T7 or Pryodex. Either is probably fine if you use Shockleys powder or pellets.

Using T7 pellets you are probably better off with the Kleanbores or WinT7s.

Ive never hunted a moose but 300gr sounds like a good start and any Partition should get the job done or about any 275gr+ Barnes. Im partial to the Barnes Original .458 300gr Semi Spitzter and the MMP .458x50 sabot but it might expand a bit fast for a big moose. The 285gr Spitzer MZ should get it done too.

Knight has the 285gr Spitfires on sale right now for $13 for 18.

Howdy,

I shoot the same muzzleloader.From my experiance(its the only muzzly I have owned) the traditions is a good dependable rifle...not pretty,but dependable.

I have used Hornady 230 grain,and 250 grain xtp's with excellent results.Used both the shotgun primers,muzzy primers,and both 777 pellets,and 3f powder with good results.-3f being what I use now extensively.

The first thing if you haven't is to give that rifle a good scrub down...there was tons of grease/oil in my barrel when I bought mine.

The best thing I have found was a product called Montana's extreme bore conditioner.Ever sense I started (after about 3 or 4 applications-range trips) to use it my crud ring from 777 has seemed to disappear,or at least is too small too notice....especially with the muzzy primers.might not make a difference on the bench,but in the field makes a heck of a difference if you could load a follow up shot quickly.-Least to me it gave a little bit more confidence in my rifle.

Have fun! you will be the center of attention at the range with that cloud of smoke bellowing past everyone

8)

Cell

Oh ya one more thing...the original sights are cheap.Mine broke on my first hunting trip out(heavy brush).Didn't matter much...I have a tradition's scope with the "bdc" rect on it.

One more thing...make sure to check out Traditions web site.They have good deals going on most of the times.

Cell

Wow thanks for all the great replies however unfortunately I wasn't able to get out due too undesirable weather conditions. I think a couple people asked what kind of powder I have, it is 777 pellets, i have both 50 grain and 30 grain pellets. Unfortunately I do not have very many options available to me as far as bullets go it would seem in my general area for some reason. I am guessing the lack of available options for bullets are due to the fact that muzzle loading hasn't hit it big here in southeastern Ontario yet, we have really only had muzzle loader seasons for a couple years now.
So given what is available to me here within a couple hours drive these Shock Wave 300gr spire point bonded bullets are about as good as i can get my hands on easily. I am interested in hearing more about this Blackhorn 209 powder, is it like the tripple seven in that you use 15% less powder than you would regular black powder? How is the price of Blackhorn in comparison to Tripple Seven pellets?
I would really like to get my hands on the Barns copper bullet and or the Nosler in 300gr. Does anyone know if anyone sells either or both bullets in Ontario preferably near Kingston Belleville area?

You need to ease into mail ordering, much better selection. I don't know how the cross border ordering works with shooting supplies. You should also have some Canadian companies.

Blackhorn 209 costs more & only comes loose, no pellets. The 777 pellets you have will work. I just like the B209 better. Just clean your gun after shooting.

I think there is a cabala's up there...should be able to order online with them.Tho their prices are steep for me sometimes.Check out their bargain cave after the season they usually have good deals then.

I wonder if you can order just bullets from down here?I know most if not all online stores won't ship live rounds out of the states.

Gun shops in eastern ontario.

here you go fishn-hunter.Williamsarms port perry ontario.Gunmart,BROCKVILLE. Kellys guns ltd.Belleville,any or all should have what you need.Remember,shot what your gun likes.Accuracy wise.Dont try and push the bullets to fast you dont have too.Moose1foot dowh,1foot back of the hump==dead moose.Have fun.chester35

Back