Do jakes gobble

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Mike

Reaction score
I shot a 16 lb. jake this week in Illinois. It was a great hunt. I was walking out of the timber to call it day. As I walked I called a few times and got a gobble response. I double backed and went back in, set up my decoys and called a few more times. The gobbles got louder and two jakes walked into my lap. HERE's the question-Do jakes gobble, or was it possible that a larger bird was hanging back and that's where the gobble was coming from?

:D :) 8)

I can't answer your question my friend but I can send my CONGRATS on bagging that jake. Sounds like you had a great hunt :!: See you on the 26th. Maybe I' ll have some pics to show you. Keep your cell on.

I personally have never seen on gobble. But I see no reason why they cannot. It might be a different pitch from an old Tom. I have heard them peep and chirp. And while I might have "heard" them gobble and just did not know it, I never really thought that much about the question.

That jake is really good eating. As you will discover, they are wonderful table fare. Congratulations on the Jake.

I don't know about other species but Eastern Jakes certainly gobble. There gobble is quite short and usually a little higher pitched than mature Easterns.

Both situations do occur. I have had jakes try to slip between a mature gobbling bird to get to the hen before he does. The tom is trying to attract the hen to him by sounding off. The jake wants to intervene so he usually comes in fast and quiet but? They will also gobble and come to a yelp just like the big boys. The older they are the harder it is to tell the difference between a mature bird and a jake. Jakes tend to be more vocal in the middle of the day. I shot two 16 pounders last year, both in the middle of the day, both gobbling like mad, one came to the decoy strutting like a big boy. Both suffered from a terminal hevi-shot headache and found relief from a quick dip in the marinate and some quality time on the grill.

If you consider a very short-bearded tom a jake then Yes...I have seen them gobble up a storm. :lol:

Harry, He did have a short beard, about 2-3 inches, no spurs, and the outside edges of his fan feathers were shorter than the center ones.

I can tell you for sure that they can gobble. Not only do they gobble, they also spit and drum. I set up on a bird last week. I was sitting in a pasture and called a few times and the gobbles got closer. Suddenly the birds crossed into the pasture in front of me. There was three jakes, all with 2 inch beards and in-complete tail feathers. They all were gobbleing and once in the pasture they started strutting. They were not half jake struts, but full blown strutting and they also were spitting and drumming. The birds came straight to me but I decided to pass on them since I knew there was a longbeard in the area. So... when you hear a gobble, it could be jr.

Mike, we call it a "gibble"

You can usually tell the difference. It has boy in puberty pitch to it.

Johnny

Back