777 and .25acp

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahRob

Reaction score
Had a chance to finally get out and use 777 for the first time and my new ,25 acp BP i made . VERY HAPPY . I ued 85 grains off 777 and Remington BR small rifle primers and black sabot with a 300 grain XTP . I JUST LOVE THAT BULLET !!!

Shot 1 and 2 was just off hood of my truck . then decided to stop being lazy and dig out my pipod and sand bag and see what it would really do and i shot 3-20 . This combo just about put ever shot through the same hole , Shot 21 was a follow up shot without swabbing . A small crud ring made that a little tough get that one down and threw that shot high left . But i have never had anything stand around long enough for a second shot anyway, so i don't feel that will,be a issue . These were shot at about 50 yards with a 1x scope on my encore .

Really liked the 777 also !!!!

25acp777_MG_4140.jpg

It was at 50 paces , so around 45-50 yards give or take , I am 6.6'' .

Yep - that looks familiar. :)
My Knight will do the same thing with 300gr XTP Mags with 80gr of 2fg 777.

gunrac said:
Looks like ya got it goin on. How crudded up was the plug?

No at all . no carbon from the pistol primers and a little crud in the front dome part of the breech plug . I did not have to use a drill bit and just soaked the BP in #9 and wiped it clean .The flash hole and fire channel was spotless and the outside of the breech plug was spotless . I have never used 777 before because of all the stories about the crud ring but i thought i had just as much of one with Pyrodex .???? But i took only one damp patch (spit) and one dry to clean the barrel between shots and when i got home clean up was easier than BH209 . I was using 90 grains fo BH 209 and 100 grains of Pyrodex before and used 85 grains of 777 and put the bullet in the same spot as the other two powders did . I though i was going have to mess with the grains of 777 to get a good group . It was all most toooo easy . I am hooked on 777 and the .25 acp conversion !! SABOTLOADER YOU WERE RIGHT !!!!! :D :D

Mark whiz said:
Yep - that looks familiar. :)
My Knight will do the same thing with 300gr XTP Mags with 80gr of 2fg 777.

I have tried around 6-8 other bullets and just keep going back to the XTP . They shoot great , kill great and are cheap compared to the other bullets i tried . The acp conversion work flawlessly . Now i need to get my sons omega set up . he in in Maine on a mission for our church and has never shot his omega and will be back in june 2010 just in time for all the hunts .

Tripple seven is a great powder. I've been using it since it came out in both my Knight disc extreme and my TC Hawken rifles. Crude ring is not a problem with rifles using caps. If you use the Winchester tripple seven 209 primers you can also get away from the crude ring. The crude ring develops when the primer is hot enough to move the bullet before the powder burns. Weaker primers do not cause a crude ring to develop.

UtahRob

That certainly looks like it should seal the deal. I really like the 25acp - it is sooooo much cleaner...

Still think you should get some Speer 300 grain Gold Dots and give then a shot - but you would need to use closer to 100 grains... they like speed.

I also must admit.. it took me awhile to make the switch to the 25acp, MLKieth is the one that finally convinced me.

sabotloader said:
UtahRob

That certainly looks like it should seal the deal. I really like the 25acp - it is sooooo much cleaner...

Still think you should get some Speer 300 grain Gold Dots and give then a shot - but you would need to use closer to 100 grains... they like speed.

I also must admit.. it took me awhile to make the switch to the 25acp, MLKieth is the one that finally convinced me.

Maybe after the seasons are over with i will give the GD a try . I just don't want to mess with things weeks before the deer season starts . What sabot would you use with the GD on my encore . I am using the Hornady sabots right now for .452 bullets .

UtahRob

I just don't want to mess with things weeks before the deer season starts

totally understand....

What sabot would you use with the GD on my encore . I am using the Hornady sabots right now for .452 bullets .

Hornady sabots are MMP's...Their black sabot is a MMP HPH-24

[/quote]

utahrob,just wondering if the 777 you use was ff,or fff? just got back from up north, not many places to shoot here in south east wisc. i did have a little issue with the crud ring. i'm using 95gr. 777 fff-cci 400 small rifle primers-tc shockwave 250gr bullets. the company i got the new .25 acp breech plug states that the cases can be used many times without cleaning them, even showed a picture and they looked brand new. i had to clean everyone of mine before installing a new primer. could it be the primers? did yours come out clean? thanks for any help----tom

dodge said:
utahrob,just wondering if the 777 you use was ff,or fff? just got back from up north, not many places to shoot here in south east wisc. i did have a little issue with the crud ring. i'm using 95gr. 777 fff-cci 400 small rifle primers-tc shockwave 250gr bullets. the company i got the new .25 acp breech plug states that the cases can be used many times without cleaning them, even showed a picture and they looked brand new. i had to clean everyone of mine before installing a new primer. could it be the primers? did yours come out clean? thanks for any help----tom

Its ff ,the only thing i could find , no FFF around here . The out side of my brass are SPOTLESS and i could have re-primed them with out cleaning . There was a little crud inside but not bad . when i popped out the old primers a little crud would get in the primer pocket so i just cleaned them . Did you have to pre-form your brass by closing you action on them a few times ?? If not then that could make a bad seal and dirtying the outside . The first .25 acp breech plug i made was that way, i drilled it a little too deep and the first 1/4 '' of the brass was black .

i put all the brass through the action ,all 50 of them untill the hammer would cock. after shooting them they were full of alot of black residue,inside, bad enough they had to be thoughly cleaned. the cci 400 primers is what they recomended so that is what i used.i shot 25 rounds and every one was totally black inside with dirt particles coming out of them!maybe a differant primer should be used???---tom

dodge

One thing you might check is the size and condition of the flash hole. How many rounds have you shot through that Breech Plug?

i used the breech plug for the first time,about 22 shots and all were dirty

dodge said:
i used the breech plug for the first time,about 22 shots and all were dirty

all i have used so far are Remington Klean bore small rifle and Remington BR small rifle primers I do have some CCI small rifle mag #450 primers also , but i have not tried them .I got the CCI primers to try with BH209 but decided no to bother . I do think your going to alway have some crud in them from the primers .

check this out , some primers look like they burn way cleaner than others .

http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html

some of the federal and Russian primers look the best !! I like the looks of the PMC (Russian) Small Rifle Magnum primer they look like they burn cleaner but i wounder if they have enough flash . . I take what i can get right now !!

sabotloader said:
dodge

Just drop them in some Cider vinegar and they will clean themselves up real pretty....

Like sabotloader said !!!

+1 for the vinegar, WORKS great and you can use a Q tip to swab the insides of the .25 acp brass if needed .

Back