Plunger guns vs break opens

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always preferred the Break Action, Never liked the plunger guns.
Just don't like the way they operate or feel in the hands.
The break actions I have shot were just as accurate.

Plungers by far, having the one piece stock, does add stability. Break opens are fine, the truth about em 1) Easier to clean 2) Industry found away to charge double for the break opens. if doubt it Buckhorn magnum was $199 on sale most times $99-$120ish Dropped by CVA for break open line Starting Price on most $269 some offer deals at $219, Oh they CVA are willing to buy back for the newer models sell ya a $269 wolf and give a whole $20-35 trade in value on your Current cva rifle.

Knight Rifles made plunger type guns for years. I love mine. It's an MK 85, .50 cal, and I converted it to take 209 primers. Awesome rifle, and deadly on the white tails.

Knight Rifles made plunger type guns for years. I love mine. It's an MK 85, .50 cal, and I converted it to take 209 primers. Awesome rifle, and deadly on the white tails.

Well they were all Plunger guns in the beginning, "Break Action" came after complaints of having to do work to clen the plunger guns .

I had the same rifle, and yes it was a very good rifle, best rifle of that type I have ever shot..
Just still preferred the break action.
However, I gave all them up because they still just don't compare to shooting traditional.
Personal preference.

Well they were all Plunger guns in the beginning, "Break Action" came after complaints of having to do work to clen the plunger guns .

H&R had a break action out before knight rifle was even a thought. Have you ever tried to clean a percussion break action such as a western edition cva? Sure is not any easier to clean than a plunger gun.

H&R had a break action out before knight rifle was even a thought. Have you ever tried to clean a percussion break action such as a western edition cva? Sure is not any easier to clean than a plunger gun.

A Northwest version CVA is no different than any other break action CVA. Just unscrew the breech plug and clean.

I have a Knight MK 85. It takes down very quickly, and has been very easy to clean, and it's a "plunger " gun.

Not like a percussion break action will get. A 209 plug is fairly easy to seal up. I know of no way to make a percussion cap any cleaner. So it certainly is not just remove the breach plug and clean it. You better be taking the entire thing apart which is simple with rifles like the knight or white plunger guns. You need 2 tools to take the knight apart. 1 allen and the plug wrench. I count no less than 3 to take the cva a apart. Phillips to remove the grip cap. Allen for the buttstock. Flat head for the forearm and firing pin bushing. Some of that is not as critical if shooting blackhorn with a 209 that seals up good but you will need to do it every time with the percussion plug versions. There is a huge difference in the amount of fouling and how corrosive it is. If the OP is not required to use percussion there is no way i would go with a plunger rifle. The cva plug is simple to remove without tools and its just a better design for a 209 overall. As far as accuracy goes. Neither one is going to make a whole lot of difference for most hunters. If you wanted to get picky i guess you could say the plunger rifle is more accurate. White rifles won lots of NMLRA shooting matches. I can only think of one won by a break action. So there must be a reason that cva went with a bolt action on the Paramount and not a variation of the Apex.

Oregon's ML season requires an "Open" Ignition System and either Percussion caps or flint; no primers or Sabots! The Solid Lead Conical length can't be more than twice the width.

Most Break Open guns won't meet that criteria. I had acquired a 50 cal Rolling Block at a good price that I really wanted to keep but let it go for that reason. They finally allowed Fiber Optic sights a couple of years ago.

Oregon's ML season requires an "Open" Ignition System and either Percussion caps or flint; no primers or Sabots! The Solid Lead Conical length can't be more than twice the width.

Most Break Open guns won't meet that criteria. I had acquired a 50 cal Rolling Block at a good price that I really wanted to keep but let it go for that reason. They finally allowed Fiber Optic sights a couple of years ago.
The Northwest break open guns from CVA and Traditions meet the criteria.

eh to each his/her own, Kind of a loaded question. In Line or Break Action all wagons will circle their respective camps, I have 3 In Lines and a Hawken, I had a Wolf Break Action eh Traded off I shoot tighter groups with in lines, I suggest get an in line and a break action SHOOT THEM and see which produces better groups for YOU. This way you see which is better for you. Show you perfect example, I and my Brother in law 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards, In Lines spread opens to 4 inches with Break Actions, However his 16 year old daughter is the reverse of us, She will take that wolf at 100 yards and hit 2 inch size groups, hand her an in line and it opens up. Then again I cut my black powder fangs on in lines. Her first was my Wolf traded off to her dad. I guess I am saying it is what you get used to.

Back