help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam208

Reaction score
hi im new to the fourm
This is the frist muzzle loader i have ever had.

I got a problem with my TC omega z5. I got the gun for Xmas an i put a rifleman leupold 3x9x40mm on it. Ok i went to the range/my back yard and i set up a target about 50 yard way. I had 2 kinds of bullets both were 250 gr. One was the shockwave with the black sabot and the other was the barnes TMZ with the yellow sabot. I shoot 100 gr of 777 pellets I was useing my buddys gun vise i dont know what it called but worked nice. I was swabing between shots.

Ok I started with the shocks waves and they would load real nice and set and all but the shots were all over the place.

And for the barnes TMZ i couldnt even get them down the barrel intill about 6 inchs down then the stoped. Was no moving them after that had to use the bullet puller to remove it .

thanks

Sam208

Sam208

I got a problem with my TC omega z5. I got the gun for Xmas an i put a rifleman leupold 3x9x40mm on it. Ok i went to the range/my back yard and i set up a target about 50 yard way. I had 2 kinds of bullets both were 250 gr. One was the shockwave with the black sabot and the other was the barnes TMZ with the yellow sabot. I shoot 100 gr of 777 pellets I was useing my buddys gun vise i dont know what it called but worked nice. I was swabing between shots.

First off the 100 grain load of T7 is an excellent working load, although I prefer loose powder to pellets... and that MIGHT be some of your problem.

The TC-SW with the black sabots (MMP HPH-24 sabots) should have fit down your barrel snugly - probably needed both hands on the ram rod to shove them down. The TMZ will not go down your bore with the supplied sabot - it is to thick.

My first thought is that something is loose on your scope - either the scope base or the rings in the base and lastly something is wrong in the scope.

Next thought would be that possibly your pellets have become contaminated by the moisture in the air or by the way they were stored.

And there is a possiblity that the stock might be causing a problem. The forearm of the TC sythetic stock is flexible and might be pushing the barrel -expecially if you were using some sort of gun vise.

My first thought would still be to check everything on the scope.... if you do not find anything - then remove the scope and shoot the gun with open sights @ 25 yards and see how it groups.

Next do not use the vice and shoot from a bench @ 25 yards and see if you get better groups either with the scope or the open sights.

Just throwing out some options - there are other things that might cause your problem but I would start in the areas suggested above.

every thing seems to be tight on the scopes. I thought maybe since i got my powder after the season was done maybe i got some older power?

Is their any company that make a sabot that can be used with the barnes TMZ. I would really like to stick to the barnes if all possible ive seen the bullets after being pulled form harvested deer. And they look just like the advertised bullet that you see on their web site

sam208

hello Sam208 i bought the KNIGHT EZ LOAD BARNES PBT ..are the same as the TMZ [cost less] i don't know why ...250gr.

I think the Barnes tmz been discontinued , replaced by the Knight EZ-load PBT.
Taureau noir

no the BARNES Spit-Fire TMZis still sold ..with a yellow sabot ..

KNIGHT EZ LOAD BARNES PBT have a blue sabot and are easy to load.

thanks for the replys i was looking online at some barnes bullets that have a bule sabot and say they are easy to load but it had the barnes name on them??

Sam

Sam208 said:
thanks for the replys i was looking online at some barnes bullets that have a bule sabot and say they are easy to load but it had the barnes name on them??

Sam

the BARNES SPIT FIRE T-EZ do have a blue sabot ..but if u look closely u will notice that the bullet is not "boat tailled"

the KNIGHT EZ LOAD BARNES PBT are the same bullet as the BARNES TMZ and both bullets are boat tailled ...

O I never seen that before thanks
I found one of shocks waves and it has a flat base what dose the boattilled mean do they shot better than the flat base bullets do?

BOAT TAIL gives you a higher ballistic coefficient aids exceptional long-range performance.

Thanks

Could a flat base bullet shoot to 125 yards no problem?

Shoud i be shooting loose powder instead of pellets?

Sam208

Sam208 said:
Thanks

Could a flat base bullet shoot to 125 yards no problem?

Shoud i be shooting loose powder instead of pellets?

Sam208

a flat base bullet will shoot further than 125 yds.without any problem .

as for powder try both and check which one is better in YOUR muzzeloader

thanks will do

what kind of powder should i try i know notting about muzzleloaders?

sam208

BLACK HORN 209 loose powder [almost everybody on the forum is into it .

TRIPLE 7 in pellets

let me say this this fourm is a lot more helpful and friendly than most other ive asked on

Now i forgot to say I uesed 777 primers as well could that cause bad groups?

for loose powder i really like pyrodex rs/select/P its a very consistent powder and easy on the wallet. No crud ring either.

thanks for all the replys

Now for cleaning the gun the one time i shoot it. I used No13 bore cleaner and ran patches tho intill can out clean then i use bore butter? was this rite are do i need to use other cleaning products?

Sam208

i only shoot T7 PELLETS so i only use hot water and soap for a clean up .
when i am on the range target practicing i use a home made solution of 50% gas line antifrezze and 50% winter windshield liquide ,i swab the barrel with a wet patch then use a dry patch and i am ready to load and shoot. my ML likes a clean barrel for accuracy ..

i am sure other members will chime in and give they're know how for cleaning your ML.

i would not use BOREBUTTER in my ML.

thanks

instead of bore butter what could be use to keep from rusting?

Latest posts

Back