Piggies Coming Around More Often

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today i planted a game plot at the property on Bar Nunn Road. Also checked the game camera. This group of pigs are coming in more often:

a5WJRcjl.jpg

I am seeing some groups on my cameras, but they sure have been a lot harder to find over the past couple of months. I've been shooting and trapping the buggers for about 12 years now and the favorite property for me has produced 761 of them for me so far. I've always thought I'd like to hit the 1,000 mark on that property, but I'm up to 75 yrs. old now and sure slowing down.

Don't know much about pig movements. Are they most active in the early morning?

Pig movement is dependent on several things: Hunting pressure, population density, moon phase and availability of food sources are some. Our lease is a high density area. Hogs are out and about all day long. Large boars have no natural enemies and are often out in the daytime.

The sounder in that game camera photo sometimes comes in the evening. They are around a few days and then gone. There is another sounder that comes around about every three weeks. i prefer to hunt in the late afternoon/evening.

Yesterday morning i noticed the pig trail crossing the road was being used more. There is a huge swampy thicket to the east where pigs hang out.

The weather here will cool off dramatically on Wednesday. Hogs will be travelling more.

Here are the same pigs in the evening:

d5MZPw1l.jpg

We could have dozens of hogs hanging around by filling the unfenced feeder about 300 yards from this one. Hogs are welfare creatures.

Today i planted a game plot at the property on Bar Nunn Road. Also checked the game camera. This group of pigs are coming in more often:

a5WJRcjl.jpg
Floyd that is a nice group of hogs. I see their population hasn't diminished. They reproduce as bad as rabbits.

I am seeing some groups on my cameras, but they sure have been a lot harder to find over the past couple of months. I've been shooting and trapping the buggers for about 12 years now and the favorite property for me has produced 761 of them for me so far. I've always thought I'd like to hit the 1,000 mark on that property, but I'm up to 75 yrs. old now and sure slowing down.
Mofish, I believe you got plenty of time to hit that 1,000 mark. You're not slowing down, just a little more cautious :thumbs up:

WOW...761 pigs !! That averaging over 60 a year. What do you do with all that meat?

Mofish, I'm 74 and have always been in good shape and extremely physically active. The only reason I slowed down the past few years is being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. In my early 60s I could still do anything I could do in my 40s (I was still boxing in my 40s). So don't give up on account of age. Let wear & tear guide your activities from now on, not age.

WOW...761 pigs !! That averaging over 60 a year. What do you do with all that meat?
Anything I consider worthy of keeping, I give away as a rule. I don't keep any boars over 100 lbs., but sows are pretty good at about any size. I haul coolers full of frozen legs to muzzleloading shoots often and give them away, and I have some local folks that like them too. I have one small business owner locally, that likes them a lot, and I often drop off whole hogs for him. I have even dropped off two sows at a time, right out of the woods into his wife's toyota...pretty stinky mess sometimes. I've backed up to her rear door of her can and slid two 200 pounders in at a time. He takes them home, hangs them up and burns off all the hair with a propane torch, and then opens them up.
They keep me out of my recliner on a regular basis...and I think that's a good thing !

Only 239 more to go. I'm betting you'll probably hit 2000.
They are darned good eating, but, I've seen land that they completely destroy for ranchers, farmers, etc.
The south is just overrun with those critters.

Only 239 more to go. I'm betting you'll probably hit 2000.
They are darned good eating, but, I've seen land that they completely destroy for ranchers, farmers, etc.
The south is just overrun with those critters.
No argument there....they can certainly tear up the land !!

Hang in there Mofish. i'm 81. This is the first summer where i failed to hunt hogs at least once each week. That will change next Wed. The high temperature will be around 60F. Will be in my rickety blind overlooking a feeder.

Hang in there Mofish. i'm 81. This is the first summer where i failed to hunt hogs at least once each week. That will change next Wed. The high temperature will be around 60F. Will be in my rickety blind overlooking a feeder.
I'm sure ready for some cooler weather for my hunting. Deer season is right around the corner too, and I like to put a few of them in my freezer every year. When you're driving out to your hunting area with the a/c on, it is probably not going to be a pleasant day hunting. I've made some changes over the years in my hunting, like adding a boat winch to the back of my old hunting truck, as I just can't get a deer or hog up in it by myself anymore....unless it's a small hog. I'll stay at it as long as possible, as I think it keeps me healthier having some activity like that.....I'll bet you are working under the same ideas !

Floyd, the last time I saw you, you didn't look or act like a man in his late 70's. Definitely enjoyed your company.

Tomorrow supposed to have heavy snow through Wednesday. I like the cool weather much more than heat. I can dress for cold, but there is no way for dressing in heat. Heading out to the Sangre's today to check hunting area and where to camp. Saturday is first day of muzzleloader season. We pulled 3, left over draw, cow tags.

Latest posts

Back