Need advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which to buy

• 200gr plated RNFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 220gr plated RNFP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Im getting ready to buy some 40cal Extreme plated bullets in bulk and will be selling some here. These are some of the best plated bullets i have seen. Weight and OD variation is perfect. All 50 samples were perfect in variation and the copper is very thick.

The choices are 200gr RNFP and 220gr RNFP. I like the 220s but what would you guys prefer for a high quality practice bullet?

The 200s are $60.50 per 500 and the 220s are $65.00 per 500 including shipping. Quality is better than either Rainier or Berry's IMO. MUCH BETTER weight variation.

220and200grExtreme.jpg

Well I voted for the 220 because I would like to see if I could get them to shoot. The problem is are they short enough to shoot in a 1-28 twist, I am sure that if I had a 1-24 they would do well. the other side of the coin is that there is no similar bullet made that is good hunting bullet [in my opinion] .
The 200 gr on the other hand has two good hunting bullets made with similar characteristics the XTP and the Lehigh and the would make a good practice bullet for either of these and up to 100yds for the 200gr SW.
So while I would like to experiment with the 220 the one that really fits what you are asking is the 200. Lee

Ive shot the 220gr and 260 cast without an issue in the Accura 45 with 1-28. The 260s do need a bit more powder (at least 90gr BH209 in a 45) to get good groups. The 220s hardcst did fine with 90-100gr. I havent tried using more yet.

In a 50x40 the 260gr cast might need a bit more for acceptable accuracy. I tried 90gr and a Harvester 50x40 CR but they didnt do very well.

Most guys dont like the cast so these are the best plated bullets i could find. Im trying like hell to get some 200gr or more plated HPs but sofar any 10mm HP over 180gr is out of stock everywhere.

I voted for the 200 grn
I don't know as much as you guy's about this stuff,I just buy whats at the wally world or GM.
Some of the good folks here have put together goodie box's for me with different kinds of bullets and sabots and for pratice I like the lighter bullets.

I voted for the 200's.

Would be shooting them out of a .45 Elite and I think the twist is 1:30; and I don't want to go over 90 grs of BH209 to get them to stabilize.

Well, minus my vote its almost 50/50. I will leave it up a few more days then order 500 or if it stays at 50/50, then 500 of each.

BTW im still trying to get some Rainier 200gr HPs but no luck sofar. :(

That would end the quest since it more about what will sell than what i want.

I voted for the 200 as the knight 45's have the 1/30 twist I doubt you would get the 220 to stabilize.

DC

GM54-120

You already know i voted 200 because there is nothing made in the 220 range that i could also shoot for a real bullet, not to say that the 220 you are showing would not harvest a a deer. It is just probably bullet I would not use for hunting.

Even then I am not sure how the 200 grain would fly as compared to a 40/180 Gold Dot or even the Hornady 40/200 XTP. I mysself would much rater shoot a plinker that shoots with the same characteristics that the bullet I am going to hunt with does... the 40/180 Gold Dot mimicks the the 40/200 Lehigh very closely....

Is the nose plated as well? Can you show a pic of the nose? Good price for some plinkers.

Busta said:
Is the nose plated as well? Can you show a pic of the nose? Good price for some plinkers.

Yes its totally plated. Extreme/West Coast bullets claims to have the thickest plating of any brand but i havent cut one in half to compare them.

I liked the 220gr hadcast for plinking because most of my plinking range is 100yard or less. The 200SST sighted a few inches high at 100yards put the cast 220gr almost in the bullseye at 100yards or less. Both using 100gr of BH209.

These are more uniform and no lube groove so it looks like a very good plinker or varmint bullet.....for the money

bullet

Even then I am not sure how the 200 grain would fly as compared to a 40/180 Gold Dot or even the Hornady 40/200 XTP. I mysself would much rater shoot a plinker that shoots with the same characteristics that the bullet I am going to hunt with does... the 40/180 Gold Dot mimicks the the 40/200 Lehigh very closely....
I am right there w/ tat as I use the 200 grain xtp for coyote hunting over 110 grains of BH209.

I'd go with the 200 grain, just because there really aren't any hunting options in the 220 grain range. This way, your POI with the 200 grainers will be the same or similar with other hunting bullets you might use that are 200 grains. I really wish they made a .40 cal XTP or SST that weighed 220 - 230 grains, though....

Ok, after a lot of thought, i will get the 200gr to start out.

If anyone wants the 220gr and wanted to split a 500 pack, this is the website. I will take half or at least 200 of them.

http://xtremebullets.com/plated.htm I will call them today and get the ball rolling and make an effort to get a hollow point version.

I REALLY want a 210gr HP. The 220gr should be close to 210gr after its made into a hollow point.

I will be getting some Montana Gold 180gr JHPs in bulk too after i test the 155gr or 165gr JHP. Depending on terminal performance and consistency. These have gotten good reviews on several forums and have a very tough jacket.

Thank you for your opinions and pm me if anyone wants to go in a group bulk purchase. Im not trying to make money on these, just trying to get all of us a good deal on practice bullets. Hopefully the will mimic your hunting bullet within reason.

Currently the other affordable options are either back ordered or out of stock ect.

I will post on my "Heavy 40cal" in the classifieds when they start arriving.

Scott

Scott, I will take the other 200, PM me with price and I will send you a check, please include shipping to you and if they won't split ship include sending my share to me. I want to try hollow pointing them and finding or making a plastic tip, drilling a small hollow point about 25 gr worth and putting a plastic tip on should be interesting. Lee

Not to take away from your thread, but I've shot a bunch of these http://www.powerbondbullets.com/about.html in 40cal 180gr HP's over the last year from my 45 guns with pretty good results, they shot side x side with the XTP's. had them in the gun for ML season, but never tripped the trigger on anything with hair.

I have also sectioned one, they are pretty close to their claim of .010 plating thickness, diffently way way more they the Rainiers I usually shot.

Al in Mi

Thank you very much for your input on this subject. Im always looking for options and i had never heard of these. Plated are not my favorite but i dont see the sense in throwing expensive bullets at paper or varmints.

Unless its in competition of course or needed for a clean kill.

I shoot Lehigh 185gr too and they are deadly. My best 200yard group is even with a 185gr DOA. By best i mean BEST period, including center fires of similar caliber/recoil.

I book marked the site :yeah:

I love these Extremes so far just based on weight and size variation. There basically was no variation out of 50 bullets measured.

I have a debt to pay to another board member and i will start getting these options rolling. I will make close to nothing on the sales, im just getting a feeling for what others want for a group buy.

Speer's Uni-Cor (GoldDot/DeepCurl) and Hornady 200gr XTPs are on back order everywhere so im trying to find other options. The Harvester 200gr funnel point is nice but for nearly the same price you can buy Lehighs.

Thanks

Scott

I just picked up a sample of Montana Gold 165gr JHPs for $12 and heading to the range.

These look VERY nice for anyone that wants a lightweight. Similar to Golden Sabers in profile but less than half the cost.

AND

I talked my LLC buddy into buying the MG 180gr JHPs lastnite. He gets better pricing than i do since he buys them in case lots. They will be close to the the same price as the 165grs. 1000 are on the way and i got dibs on 500+ for me and the forum.

Heading to the range to breakin the Elite 45 before an onsite at 5pm.

Have a great and peaceful weekend everyone...and God Bless

Scott

Both ranges were a waste. One was closed and the other was packed.

Going upto my private range tomorrow for testing.

ATM im weighing the Montana Gold 165gr JHPs and checking a black Disc thumbhole stock i found for $50 to see which one of my Discs it fits.

Im hoping it will fit my GMB54 so i can keep that laminated stock in mint condition.

Range report tomorrow, im only taking the Elite and Acurra 45s so it should be a thorough test and comparison.

Checked 50 of the MG 165JHPs all weighed right at 166gr and look cool with the brass/copper jacket. Will post some pic after i get back.

Delayed the onsite till 7pm so i got to hurry.

Have a Happy Easter guys and God Bless

Scott

Range results with some of the bullets mentioned.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... hp?t=16414

At 40yards POI is very similar to my hunting load. Next weekend we are moving to 100 yards and beyond plus load tweaking.

Using just 100gr and Win209s the Extreme bullets 200gr plated RNFP is a tack driver with the MMP sabot.

I also have 500 180gr Montana Golds JHPs on the way. My LLC buddy made a multi case order so pricing will be very nice. Roughly $13/100 plus $5 shipping so to make the price good, a 200 order will be the best deal. 100 lots will barely beat typical 180gr HP pricing.

Scott.

Hey Scott!
Can you give the measurement of the bullet? Both diameter and length?

Latest posts

Back