Petey stopped by today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Check this little guy out! I messaged CPW and gave them his? ear tag number in hopes of finding out if hes a trouble bear or if he was tagged during research.
Petey.jpg

Bear looks like he needs a good meal.
Well, he was sure eyeballing the chicken and pheasant pens. The first time we saw him, son was walking through the living room, broad daylight, say"hey, theirs a bear on top the chicken pen". Sure enough there he was. Now it keeps returning even after I fired a couple shots to run him off!! Could be a problem......👉

Check this little guy out! I messaged CPW and gave them his? ear tag number in hopes of finding out if hes a trouble bear or if he was tagged during research.
View attachment 2351
Well, he was sure eyeballing the chicken and pheasant pens. The first time we saw him, son was walking through the living room, broad daylight, say"hey, theirs a bear on top the chicken pen". Sure enough there he was. Now it keeps returning even after I fired a couple shots to run him off!! Could be a problem......👉

It sounds like He’s gonna cause ya some problems Stan, You might have to Weight his Hind end Down a Little with a load of Birdshot 😁

Use to have visitors like him when still on the 1,500 acre farm in PA. Usually the mama's were looking for food for their young. Fun watching them moving around, only had to shoot one with rock salt once in 20 years.

Looks like a little guy who hasn't fattened up yet. Call in the tag and find out his status.

If you have any Fruit Trees they can Destroy them for ya in a Few Minutes, about the time stuff starts to get Ripe, They will can, and Will Break Fruit Trees all to pieces.

My Dad had a Disagreement with one about the Same size as “Little Petey“ years ago

Dad had a PRIZED Yellow Plum Tree (Remember the word “Had” 😄) That Yellow Plum Tree was about to Break down with Fruit, it was LOADED With Big Ripe Yellow Plums. The Little Bear came in Late 1 Night, The Next Morning that tree Looked like a Little Brush Pile out in the Yard 🤣😆 That’s been MANY Years ago, And Dad is stil Just as Pissed Over it today as he was Years ago when it Happened 😁

Last edited:
It sounds like He’s gonna cause ya some problems Stan, You might have to Weight his Hind end Down a Little with a load of Birdshot 😁
Yeah, tried to get some rubber bullets from CPW, but there are rules and regulations and a round of BS!! I don't care for bear meat, he's really small, so one of the boys is making up some rubber shot for the shotgun to scare him off. I guess if that doesn't work, I'll have no choice as he's eventually going to try to get those chickens. And one thing you don't do is mess with mama's egg suppliers 😇 . Jon put a large stock tank way out back on the edge of the property. It's so dry...no food and water for any of the animals. I really hate to shoot anything I'm not going to eat.
Stay safe Lewis.

If you have any Fruit Trees they can Destroy them for ya in a Few Minutes, about the time stuff starts to get Ripe, They will can, and Will Break Fruit Trees all to pieces.

My Dad had a Disagreement with one about the Same size as “Little Petey“ years ago

Dad had a PRIZED Yellow Plum Tree (Remember the word “Had” 😄) That Yellow Plum Tree was about to Break down with Fruit, it was LOADED With Big Ripe Yellow Plums. The Little Bear came in Late 1 Night, The Next Morning that tree Looked like a Little Brush Pile out in the Yard 🤣😆 That’s been MANY Years ago, And Dad is stil Just as Pissed Over it today as he was Years ago when it Happened 😁
hell, the only thing that grows around here is oak brush and pinion. Lost maple tress and mountain ash, pear, crab apple. I have found that honey locust trees grow well in this soil. Brought one home a couple years ago that after the trip and wind going down the highway, looked more pathetic like it went through a hurricane. Had about 3 or 4 branches and just a few little leaves left. Boys got a good laugh out of that one. Planted it anyway. Today that tree is just gorgeous and full. Surprised the hell out of all!

Use to have visitors like him when still on the 1,500 acre farm in PA. Usually the mama's were looking for food for their young. Fun watching them moving around, only had to shoot one with rock salt once in 20 years.
Thanks Buck. I forgot about using rock salt as shot.

Looks like a young griz with that long blond hair.
I've had some luck keeping a problem bear out of my camp by popping him in the rear end with a bb gun.
We set up camp in a spot that has 4 different spots on the NorthFork of the Clearwater river a few years ago. While setting up another camper came over to warn me about the bear problems. He said they had seen him the last couple of nights and shot over him a few times to try to scare him away.
Sure enough, that evening right before dark my Lab started growling down low in her chest. Experience from previous encounters told me it was her "there's a bear around" growl. I looked the area over and noticed there was a trail coming out of the brush across from my trailer and figured that'd be the bear's approach. I set up with a strong flashlight, my daughters 10 pump bb gun (charged with a full 10 pumps), and the .44 for "just in case". About 5 minutes after full dark I heard something and flipped the flashlight on. There stood a bear, maybe a 3 or 4 year old. I raised the bb gun up and shot the bear in the rear. It must've stung pretty good, as it turned and bit at the spot and then charged off back into the brush. It never returned for the next 5 days we were camped there.
It's been my experience that shooting over them does nothing, but giving them a good sting seems to educate them a bit better.

Looks like a young griz with that long blond hair.
It's a common black bear, we have a few grizzlies but they are further north on the borders of WY and ID according to game department and a friend that tracks the grizzlies for them daily. They usually come out of Yellowstone from the tags they are wearing,

Back