black powder measure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwooddan

Reaction score
Was curious how everyone measures there charge at the bench/in the field?

I currently have a fancy brass flask the drops i believe 50grs ( i don't think it can be adjusted) and also a small measure that i can change the volume from 40-100grs and the lid can be slid over for a spout to pour.

I guess i'm looking for something that will give me accurate drops and i don't have to have a 2 step procedure for powder. looking at quik shot style loaders for hunting purposes

I use a brass powder measure with a swivel pour spout top that is adjustable from 10 to 120 grains. Its either a T/C or Traditions brand. Many people use the T/C clear view powder measure and say its very accurate. For the field, I use a cheaper Power Belt brand quick loader. My only complant is that the plastic tubes are a little thin and build up static too easy.
IMG_3595.jpg

I pre-measure either by volume if im in a hurry or on a scale if im going to the range. I use tubes with screw on caps from a electronics store. When they seem to get too much static, just wipe the inside with a piece of a fabric softener dryer sheet

There are several methods to remove static from plastic tubes but the dryer sheet and a jag is the easiest IMO.

I just grab however many pre-measured tubes i need for the day plus some extra powder and a brass powder measure. You can use shotgun shell trays as holders if you are taking a box full of pre-measured tubes.

loads

TC clear view at home, I pre load Lanes tubes for field and range and pour those tubes. I then place the tubes into the MaoMart round ice cube holder Saxman showed us. I write on the side of the Lanes tubes the measure. That way I am not screwing around measuring at the bench or in the stand. On a new bullet combo I create 20-30 lanes tubes into 5 grain increments for testing.

My charges are loaded into some screw top medical tubes, but I weigh all my loads.It does make a significant difference in both accuracy and consistency ( at least in my rifles).Triple 7 shows the best improvement, but black powder( Swiss) responds well to this also.With T7 my velocity variations have gone from nearly 100 fps to around 40, and Swiss black averages around 10 fps variation, down from 30. its more work but it does eliminate a variable and builds confidence too.

Back