DIY Stock Painting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatbasin

Reaction score
So I got this Wolverine for my Daughter and promised her a custom painted stock to kind of make the gun her own. Anyway, knowing shes got an eye for color, composition and not a pink type girl, I told her the color was all her choice.

It was a basic project that just took some time because of the winter temps. I increased the drying times just to make sure everything cured real well before we locked it all in with a clear coat.
First I disassembled it and masked off the checkering, trigger area and the barrel channel.
Hogbuck004.jpg

Then I sprayed a base coat and Megan did the two shades of webbing to her liking. Then we finished it with a coat of matte finish before the masking was removed and another one after to get edges covered.

I think it turned out well. I was pleasently suprised with the finish...it seems like it will hold up because it feels really hard.
wolverinecrp1.jpg

wolverinecrp.jpg

Very nice. Give some details please.
like what did you use for webbing, what was the stock to start with [plastic or wood]? Also the colors as some monitors do not give true color.
Might even tell what kind of paint, as I would be willing to bet there are people here that would not have ever painted a stock.

Outstanding job on that stock Greg & Megan! 8)

Now you will have to tell us your secret. I have a few black Elite/Extreme stocks that I have thought about putting the web treatment on. You might have pushed me over the edge. Masking out the checkering was a very nice touch, it looks better than any factory webbing paint job that I have ever seen.

Thanks for posting.

that is a fine looking stock ..looks like a synthetic stock and you did the right thing when you masked off the checkering ,when you paint over the checkering it does not feel as good ..the camo is realy awsome ,did u use krylon paint [rattle can] ?????

Thanks guys.
Sorry I didn't reply back yet, I've been picking up antlers in the hills today. Black powder, yes I did use Krylon spray paint. The Fusion brand made for adhearing to plastic.

Let me start from the beginning. The stock is synthetic and it seemed to be painted black from Knight and when I started masking the barrel channel and pulled the tape up to position it, the black paint finish came off with the tape. I knew this would cause problems so I removed it all by pressing tape on the entire stock and peeling it clean.

With that black finish paint gone I then masked everywhere I did not want paint, the barrel channel, trigger area, main bolt hole and the checkering areas. I used paper tape from U-haul and cut it with a filet knife that was sharpe enough to cut the paper tape but not cut the stock. After that I hung the stock by the sling stud hole and prepped it by wiping it down with paint thinner as per the direction on the can, this cleans the plastic and preps it so the paint will set-up really nice and thin. I let the thinner dry and painted two coats. Then 8 days later we did the webbing colors and a couple of days later the Matte clear coat. I think ample drying time is key this time of year. I sprayed everything in a shed that I heated to about 75 degrees. The cutouts are what really makes the piece pop and best of all is the checkering still gives a good grip because it's not clogged with paint like BP stated earlier.

Here's a closer look.

IMG_0095.jpg

These are the supplies we used.

Krylon Camo flat Fusion green
Krylon black webbing spray
Krylon white webbing
Krylon Matte finish spray
Paint thinner
Paper Box tape
knife
cotton (main bolt hole)

Busta, give it a try it's a simple project...you'll be please with the results.

Here another shot in natural light to better show the color of green. It's really more of a olive drab in natural light. Also the shine is from the camera flash at close rangeand is really non-non-existent otherwise.
IMG_0099.jpg

Outstandding! :yeah: That looks like it was profesionally painted. Hats off to you and your daughter on a great job. I don't think anyone on here would have a problem owning that one! :wink: 8)

Did someone mention owning another muzzleloader? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well done on the stock, thanks for showing it.

Latest posts

Back