Is there a "best" call when bowhunting for deer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to bowhunting and was wondering if there was a call (not the brand of call, but actual type of call: growl, tending grunt, doe bleat, etc.) that works best and if there is a call that you should rarely use. I have a Flextone game call but am not sure what would work better to bring deer in. I'd be happy with shooting a buck or doe.

There is no best call, they all work at times, and not work.I have had bucks come in at a trot to rattlling and the next one run the other way. Experiment. Calling deer is like calling ducks, somedays it's like magic and some it's just exersize, the trick is to be where they want to go. Don't get discouraged. it definetly isn't a science.

calls

I use all , all work at times. Use what fits , for example a buck passing thru 200 yds away that is not comeing any where close to you. Get out those horns and rattle , you got nothin to lose and they might work. For what its worth I have called in more bucks with a doe bleat than anything else.
Wayles

What Wayles said....

Might work, might not , but ya gotta try....if ya don't try, ya can't complain.
My fave is the TRU Talker. Does both doe and buck. Snort Wheez by my own mouth.

calls

You might want to learn to use your voice to snort wheeze as Spit said but also grunt and bleat. Its hands free and sounds way, way, way, more realistic. Most times deer vocalizations are not very loud. They hear much better better than we do. Requires a little practice but is not dificult to do especially when fairly short range is needed. The more you practice the more you can extend your range. Practice on your drive to and from work. On your drive to your hunting spot ect. That way folks don't think your compleatly nuts. Lots of satisfaction in useing your voice only.
Wayles

I have used the standard grunt to call in bucks during the rut. This year I grunted in an 8 and a 10 point with the basic grunt. The 8 point came 75 yards all the way across a field to investigate and I shot him at 19 yards. I currently have a Flextone but have used several over the years.

Latest posts

Back