@ the Farm again wiht 'ole' #09

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Headed out to the farm again this morning after retrofitting my NFPJ breech plug to tighten the fit of the primer in the BP.

The retrofit, adding a thicker stainless washers seems to have worked and accomplished what i was after. I only had time to shoot a few rounds + I wanted to shot a wide range of primers from the longest down to the shortest.

But.... after stopping the blow back - another problem has reared it's head.... Nostradamus, aka Busta has predicted this possible problem in several of his posts. His concern about the Knight firing pin was it was to large and may induce blow back leaking from between the primer and the battery cup. I did not get that problem, but I did get a pressure problem forcing the primer back out of the battery cup and into the bolt face. The problem arises with the size of the opening in the face of the bolt where the firing pin comes through. The backed out primer wedges itself in that opening and will easily fall out of the bolt when you tip the gun to the side. By closing the bolt and dropping the hammer again the the primer is forced out of the face of the bolt and then will fall right out.

Of all the primers I shot only the Remington 209-4 did not exhibit the problem....

so at this point I am done! time to move on...

Here is todays picture....

2-19-10KDE-09TargetLabel.jpg

You found out the next weakest link now that you have it seal up. I have the same issue. I can live this this problem for now.

jsteurrys said:
You found out the next weakest link now that you have it seal up. I have the same issue. I can live this this problem for now.

Yep! same here... I am not even going to worry about it.

I am moving on to a Renegade and PRB's

The next step is to turn down the diameter of the firing pin and install a bushing in the bolt.

jsteurrys

The next step is to turn down the diameter of the firing pin and install a bushing in the bolt.

I am not goint there..... i am not, but i did stop by the machine shop on the way home this morning and talked to Dave about it.... but I am done I can live with the problem as I will only use it at the reange anyway.

GM54-120

I just took the gun apart to clean it and put it away... I could not believe how clean the breech are was.... This BP will certainly work for extended range shooting...

sabotloader said:
I am not goint there..... i am not, but i did stop by the machine shop on the way home this morning and talked to Dave about it.... but I am done I can live with the problem as I will only use it at the reange anyway.

You will. Give it time. :p

jsteurrys

Just so you know, I got bored this morning and broke out #10 - pulled the FPJ and installed the modified NFPJ. It is not quite as tight when camming the the bolt down but I am very sure that it is tight enough to create the seal I am looking for.

Check your PM's

Back