BH209 vs 777 Newbie Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillymac23

Reaction score
Ok, forgive me I'm a newbie. I've been reading alot of post about the crud ring with 777 and have experienced it myself wiht my TC Triumph. Hunting yesterday had a long shot about 200+ yards at a doe and couldn't get the bullet seated back to my line on the ramrod when I tried to reload. The pellets are really nice, just load them in a speed loader and away you go. How easy is it to carry BH209 while hunting? At the range I guess you could keep measuring and applying with ease but in the field how easy is it? From everything I've been reading I would be able to reload and get the bullet seated with BH209. I've looked at Cabela's site and didn't see very many loose powder accessories.

load the loose charges into powder tubes or speedloaders.
all you need for loose powder is a flask, powder measure, funnel.

Yep, it is either swabbing before every shot (even in the field) or trying another powder such as BH 209. I have shot as many as 30 times without every swabbing once with BH. As stated, all you need is what frontier mentions along with some powder speed loaders. You can get them many places, but Lane on here sells some good ones cheaply

Loading the speed loader may be just a bit slower but using it in the field is not. Above and beyond that you can check with a reloading scale and if you come up with the same answers I did you will find that the pellets vary more in weight than a well thrown loose powder load. Some of us think that loose is more accurate partly because the ability to change the load to suit the gun gives better accuracy in most cases and partly because of problems with weight differences and moisture problems, they also have more ignition problems.
If you have a gun that will shoot Blackhorn with out any ignition problems
[it requires a closed ignition system and a hot 209 reloading primer] then the only draw back [ at least some consider it so] is the cost, I think I get what I pay for some don't agree.
What I suggest for switching:
Speed loaders for hunting
A U-view TC powder measure [I have thrown a lot of them away, this one is the most accurate I have tried. The funnel on top severs as a cut off and a funnel in to the barrel both]
A spout top for what ever type can you decide to use.
Use a good tight sabot bullet combination and seat it down hard on the powder for best ignition and accuracy with Blackhorn.
Hope this helps. Lee

OptimaAndy said:
Or you could try APP Gold in 3F or blackmag3 or blackmag XP

I would love to try some BlackMag. Its very hard to find unless you want to order it online and pay hazmat fees.

The best results i could get with any T7 was the FFFG and a Rem STS primer as far as crud. Pellets were so bad i had to swab every shot with sabots. The T7 mag pellets were even worse.

Now i almost never use anything besides BH209 or APP/Shockeys 3FG pre measured into tubes i get at a local electronics supply shop. No more crud or special primers needed. :D

phillymac23

Pictured is the BH209 carried in my pocket whilst hunting.

P1100132.JPG

About as as as loading pellets in the field it is.

I been shooting ONLY BH 209 for a while now and love it.
I recently got some APP 3F and will try that on the range this week if it ever warms up down here.
I preload Lanes Tubes,the 5MM with my powder charge the load a 10MM with 3 bullets and sabot.
It is real easy to pour the powder from the tube to the barrel for a follow up shot.

I use these. Powder, primer, and bullet all together. Has a belt loop on the back. I usually just carry it in my coat pocket. The tubes are thin plastic and do build up a static charge but one swipe with a dryer sheet takes care of that and the powder dumps right out.
IMG_3595.jpg

GM54-120 said:
OptimaAndy said:
Or you could try APP Gold in 3F or blackmag3 or blackmag XP

I would love to try some BlackMag. Its very hard to find unless you want to order it online and pay hazmat fees.

The best results i could get with any T7 was the FFFG and a Rem STS primer as far as crud. Pellets were so bad i had to swab every shot with sabots. The T7 mag pellets were even worse.

Now i almost never use anything besides BH209 or APP/Shockeys 3FG pre measured into tubes i get at a local electronics supply shop. No more crud or special primers needed. :D

where do you live? I have a place about an hour away. When i travel that way i always pick some up.

Near St Louis Mo

Gateway Electronics

They have a few sizes. The ones i get are about 30 cents each if i get 50 and the caps have a band that stays attached to the tube. Normally about 35 cents each if you want less.

50cal bullets/sabots dont fit in them but 45s fit fine. I stack them up in shotshell trays from Cabelas.

GM54-120 said:
Near St Louis Mo

Gateway Electronics

They have a few sizes. The ones i get are about 30 cents each if i get 50 and the caps have a band that stays attached to the tube. Normally about 35 cents each if you want less.

50cal bullets/sabots dont fit in them but 45s fit fine. I stack them up in shotshell trays from Cabelas.

I sent an email to Craig at MDM and he will get back to me in the morning and I will let you know if theres someone near you.

Thanks for all of the info I think I am going to order a bottle of BH209 from Cabela's since it's on sale. Won't be here in time for the remainder of OH ML season but I can hit the range as soon as the snow melts.

Back