How does one put a sling on a Lyman Great Plains?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frwillia

Reaction score
In my quest to pick a deer rifle to use during PA's muzzleloading seasons I've narrowed my choices down to a quality production peep sight equipped .54 caliber flintlock, long barrel, slow twist, rifle shooting PRB pushed by real black powder.

The leading candidate is the Lyman Great Plains. But I want to be able to have a sling on the rifle. I don't see sling studs on them in pictures, so how does one put a sling on such a rifle?

Are there balance issues with the Hawken stock and long barrel weight?

Thanks
Fitch

sling

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=156594 this device keeps it traditional and you don't have to drill holes in your stock. Also on balance issues, only you can answer that. You have to go throw em' up and get the feel of them. You have a lot of data, now go FEEL the weapons, the grain, the smell of the gun. You will know when it is good,,,,,,,,,,,

Re: sling

Bucker said:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=156594 this device keeps it traditional and you don't have to drill holes in your stock.

That'll work.

Also on balance issues, only you can answer that. You have to go throw em' up and get the feel of them. You have a lot of data, now go FEEL the weapons, the grain, the smell of the gun. You will know when it is good,,,,,,,,,,,

I have probably 250 rounds down the barrel of a flintlock .36 caliber Pennsylvania rifle built for my Dad by Southgate back in the 1950's. That was a "while" ago. I do remember that when we shot it at 50 yards we supported the barrel in the middle and when we shot it at 100 yards we supported it out at the muzzle end, and it made a difference, or at least we thought it did.

I'll be handling some, but aside from having a heavier barrel due to being .54 caliber, I'm thinking a Lyman GP or similar will feel much like Dad's did. That rife Dad had was sure a nice one. It came with a home made possibles bag, a bullet mold that matched it, beautiful powder horn, measure, the whole nine yards.

Fitch

You really should go to Fort Chambers or Dixon's (I-78 2 miles north on rt 737 from the Kutztown Kempton exit) and handle some rifles. I doubt that you'll object to the Lyman's balance or weight.

As for a sling, there are several on this page http://www.blackpowderbags.com/cgi-bin/ ... ry_Code=AC

and the guy who makes them might literally be your neighbor. I understand the utility of a sling at times, but prefer to have my rifle in my hands.

excess650,

Thanks for that link! Now I know exactly where to get a sling and maybe some other stuff. Near as I can tell a muzzle loader takes a bag of stuff to make it work.

I'm going up to Ft. Chambers to handle some Wednesday. I haven't talked to the folks at Dixon yet. So far the folks at Ft. Chambers have been extremely helpful and patient, and they are only about 25 minutes from my house.

Fitch

I use a sling like that mentioned above on rifles that I dont want to drill into the stock on, but there is some play in the sling because it can slide up and down the barrel. If you slip the sling between the ramrod and the barrel this is minimized. On my 2 Lyman GPRs I used the following swivels.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... 0006010512
The picture on Midsouths web site is a generic one, not the correct one for the swivels you will get. The fwd swivel is designed to clamp around the magazine tube of a Marlin 357 rifle, but fits around the Lyman ram rod tube perfectly. I removed the forward screw from the toe plate and drilled it out slightly so that I could screw in the lower swivel. Now I can use any sling I want.

"The picture on Midsouths web site is a generic one, not the correct one for the swivels you will get. The fwd swivel is designed to clamp around the magazine tube of a Marlin 357 rifle, but fits around the Lyman ram rod tube perfectly. I removed the forward screw from the toe plate and drilled it out slightly so that I could screw in the lower swivel. Now I can use any sling I want."

I have the same set up. Works well for me. Here are some pics.....

2168605d.jpg
d8c6e40b.jpg
3193bb57.jpg

Same set up I used. Just remember to check periodically that the set screw is tight. Dont ask how I know. :D

Latest posts

Back