speed loaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersm1142

Reaction score
I have a question. I switched from pellets to loose powder 2 years ago and I noticed something the other day. I have two types of speed loaders. The hard acrylic plastic clear 4 in 1 cabelas brand loaders(I believe they used to be T/C brand) with the soft rubber caps. Anyway these are kind of pricy at $7 a piece. Then I discovered the traditions loose powder speed loaders(Bass Pro's redhead line also carries them). The plastic on these isn't quite as durable but they work just fine and are less then half the price then the others(2 for $6). Anyway, the compartments for the loose powder on both types of speed loaders has measuring lines for the loose powder and I found that there is s difference of 20 grains between the two types of loaders. For example, 80 grains by volume in the cabelas loader reads 100 grains when poured into the traditions loader. This doesn't seem right or even safe for that matter. Which is correct or more correct? This might be a safety issue if one were to use loads close to or at the max. Has anyone else ever noticed this problem? Also, I am using blackhorn 209 powder which meters much like smokeless powder so not settling correctly in the tubes is not an issue. I already thought of that.

I use the TC Magnum speedloaders with loose Pyrodex. I measure all my powder in a TC clear view powder measure then dump it in the speedloader. I would just use one standard measure for everything.

It was good of you to notice the difference!

I don't know if there is really a standard volume for i.e. 100 grains of powder.

The "more correct" method is to use a made for the purpose, powder measure and ignore the markings on the tubes.

One step further would be to volume measure five charges, weigh them all together, and divide by five to get the average weight. Then weigh your individual charges before filling your speed loaders.

Accurate electronic scales are pretty affordable these days.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... paign=9315[/url]

I have had at least a dozen powder measures most ended up in the trash can.
The original standard for volume measure was of black powder.
The closest volume measure the way I check them is the TC U-view.
By putting a 100gr load of black powder in the reloading scale then seeing if it fits in the measure is the way I judge them.
If the measure you use is reasonably close then the important thing is to fine out what your gun shoots best and use the same measure to measure all loads for that gun with that measure.

frontier gander said:

First of all I never go by the lines on tubes. I always use a powder measurer and then transfer to the tube. I recently bought a pile of tubes from Lane. They are the balls and very cheap. My plan is to pre measure on a powder scale and fill 20 or so tubes for each range trip.

Franksauto said:
frontier gander said:

First of all I never go by the lines on tubes. I always use a powder measurer and then transfer to the tube. I recently bought a pile of tubes from Lane. They are the balls and very cheap. My plan is to pre measure on a powder scale and fill 20 or so tubes for each range trip.

That is what I do
I got some Tube shaped Ice Trays and they work great.

Lanestubeholder-1.jpg

Lanestubeholder.jpg

Contact Lane through this site and he can hook you up with the whole package.

I bought some of the CVA speed loaders. I bought .50 caliber tubes. Well, the pellets fit fine, and the bullet (.452) fits fine, but the sabot doesn't fit worth a flip. You need .54 caliber tubes, if you shoot .50 cal sabots.

Saxman

Found those ice cube trays, they were way back in on the bottom shelf. They work great! I can keep my black seperate form my BH 209. Great idea Sax!!

saxman1 said:
Franksauto said:
frontier gander said:

That is what I do
I got some Tube shaped Ice Trays and they work great.

Lanestubeholder-1.jpg

Lanestubeholder.jpg

Contact Lane through this site and he can hook you up with the whole package.

How do you contact him thru this site? I used an email I found in the link. Would that be ok?

I happen to use BH209, and i happen to use Lane's tubes to carry the powder out to the field. They work real good. My loads appear to be super accurate, and they are, for sure, super convenient to handle.

The other day i fired three shots over the clock from the Omega, and the readings were 1752, 1756, and 1762 feet per second. These loads were dropped into the barrel from Lanes tubes. These loads were dropped into Lanes tubes with a Redding # 3-BR measure. BH209 powder granules are each and every piece exactly the same from the top of the bottle to the bottom. Because of this, combined with the fact that the granules meter well through a powder measure, mean there is no need to weigh each load, if one is seeking exactness in one's loads.

Yesterday, the Accura was measured by the clock at 1799, 1792, and 1799 feet per second. The loads were dumped into the barrel from Lanes tubes that were filled at home.

Lane's tubes stand up just fine on a table or whatever with little need for outside help.

Back