New LR Hunter Won't Fire-Help Me Please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howa

Reaction score
Just took it out of the box, swabbed it, lubed the breech plug and loaded it up, the primer goes off, the bullet comes out the barrel like a roman candle goes about 20 feet and falls to the ground. The powder won't ignite. Now here's the kicker, I have another LR hunter as well as a disc extreme and I'm using the exact same load, etc , the other 2 go off, the new one won't. I even swapped breech plugs and bolts, still the new one won't fire? The only difference in the 3 guns is the newest LRH seems to have a slightly larger barrel diameter, as it is much easier to load the sabot down the barrel, I can do it with one hand, no bullet starter. I've heard the BH209 requires a tight seal, could this little variance in barrels make it totally not fire? Just seems hard to believe as good as the GM barrels are, that one could be that much different than the other. I'm shooting the harvester muzzleloader crush rib blacks, should I get a larger sabot? Any other ideas what could be going on. Very disappointing to go out with the new gun and get no fire. A couple times the bullet came out the barrel and didn't even bring the sabot with it, it was still seated on the powder charge.

Okay, I just took a blue sabot from a Knight ultimate slam series pack, put my bullet in it and loaded it down the barrel, it was a much tighter fit than the crush rib I was using, but not at all hard to get down the barrel, didn't even use a bullet starter. Then I put the same bullet, sabot combo down the barrel of the original LRHunter, and it won't even go in the barrel, I could not force it down even with a bullet starter. This new barrel is definately a larger diameter, do ya'll think this is my ignition problem? Surely I didn't get a .52 caliber barrel that's labeled as a .50. How much variation have you guys seen in barrels?

I received mine 1st part of the week, took it out and it loaded with the same amount of effort as all my other knights. I had some accuracy issues today but when I was cleaning it this afternoon, I noticed the lines I put on the scope to mark the front and back of the rings had moved about 1/2". The last 4 shots did really good so maybe it didn't shift on those. If you got it from cabelas I would drop them a line and see if they tell you anything except send it to knight. Oh on another note, don't care for the stock, dropped mine in a extreeme stock I had laying around, works like a charm

howa said:
Okay, I just took a blue sabot from a Knight ultimate slam series pack, put my bullet in it and loaded it down the barrel, it was a much tighter fit than the crush rib I was using, but not at all hard to get down the barrel, didn't even use a bullet starter. Then I put the same bullet, sabot combo down the barrel of the original LRHunter, and it won't even go in the barrel, I could not force it down even with a bullet starter. This new barrel is definately a larger diameter, do ya'll think this is my ignition problem? Surely I didn't get a .52 caliber barrel that's labeled as a .50. How much variation have you guys seen in barrels?

I guess that MIGHT be possible, but I seriously doubt it. If it were a .52 those saboted .50 cal bullets would drop to the charge, or are they?

My Knight .50's measure .501", .5015", .502", .502", and the .45's measure .452" and .453". They vary, but not like what you are saying. Do you have a way to measure the bore? Caliper?

I would change to a thicker sabot. I had a similar issue using the Harvester Blue CrushRib .50/.40 sabot and 200 gr Shockwave in my .502" bore Knight DISC. It would shoot fine when it was warm outside, but when I was testing it in cold weather the bullet barely exited the barrel. I was using BH 209. It never took much effort to load that sabot/bullet combination. I am having the best results now with sabot/bullet combinations that measure .505"-.506" in my gun. YMMV. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

I had a thought right before I drifted off last night, what size bullet are you using with the black crushed rib. If I use the 45 cal (.452) they almost fall down any bore I've got, not quite but they are really loose. When I do use them I use a .458 300g remington bullet with them

Busta said:
howa said:

I guess that MIGHT be possible, but I seriously doubt it. If it were a .52 those saboted .50 cal bullets would drop to the charge, or are they?

My Knight .50's measure .501", .5015", .502", .502", and the .45's measure .452" and .453". They vary, but not like what you are saying. Do you have a way to measure the bore? Caliper?

No, I don't have a caliper. Once I seat the bullet just inside the barrel, I can take the ramrod and push the bullet all the way to the charge with 1 finger on top of the ramrod, they don't fall in, but they go in mighty easy. If I'm using the harvester muzzleloader 300 scorpion pt's with the black crush rib sabots, then what is a thicker sabot, how do you know the differences. This is the same combo that works so well in my other 2 knight's, just don't understand it.

Howa........
There's no doubt.....you're new rifle has a larger bore. My Savage has the same. Get some Harvester Red Crushed Ribs or some MMP Black shorts. One of these will give you the tight fit needed for reliable combustion. I use the Reds in my Savage , they make for a tight fit with .452 bullets. The Black Crushed Ribs are the loosest they make. I use them with .458 bullets. Good luck...Zen

howa said:
Busta said:
howa said:

No, I don't have a caliper. Once I seat the bullet just inside the barrel, I can take the ramrod and push the bullet all the way to the charge with 1 finger on top of the ramrod, they don't fall in, but they go in mighty easy. If I'm using the harvester muzzleloader 300 scorpion pt's with the black crush rib sabots, then what is a thicker sabot, how do you know the differences. This is the same combo that works so well in my other 2 knight's, just don't understand it.

howa,

Click on this link, then give it time to load all the pictures. This will guide you to a sabot/bullet combination that will work. This may save you some $, from going in the wrong direction.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=9798

Okay, the sabots really do make that big a difference, switched to the blue Knight sabots, and she goes boom every time, shot several rounds, switched back to my crush ribs, and poof, nothing. Unbelievable as far as I'm concerned. So, nothing wrong with the gun, it just WILL NOT shoot my current bullet/sabot combo, at all, it never fired a single time, until I switched, then fired every time. Looking for a new pet load, sent you a pm busta, thanks.

Okay, now I'm just getting more confused. It came with 2 breech plugs, one for bare primer and one for FPJ. I had read the BH did better with the bare primer because it focused the fire through the breech plug better.....however you have to use the convex domed breech plug if you use the bare primer. This is what I've been using.The concave breech plug which you all say works better requires you to use the FPJ's. Am I better off with the FPJ's and the concave plug, or the bare primer and the convex plug?

Yep, mine came with both as well. I started out with the concave breechplug (full plastic jacket), and I didn't know if the convex (bare primer would work well. I am asking Toby Bridges this question since he has probably shot more BH 209 through a LRH than anyone. Will let you know what he says.

howa

For myself.... i really like the FPJ better than the NFPJ. I have never had a problem shooting BH with that and a Cheddite primer. But which one to use - that will be your choice as some prefer the bare primer also. I prefer the FPJ because in cold miserable weather I can get ahold of the primer and just drop it in + with the FPJ it stops all moisture or cold wet air from getting up the BP to the back of the powder - altough with BH should not be a problem.

One more thing to look out for; if the sabot does not load tight enough to spin the bullet you won't get very good accuracy. Lee

Okay, I measured the bore with a caliper from a guy at work, it measures at least .5025, which according to Gordy, is above the high tolerances for the .50 caliber, but it is within the low tolerance of the .52 caliber, so .....my .50 cal is measuring as a .52 cal. It's on it's way back to Knight tomorrow morning for a swap. I have to say, the customer service is super at Knight, that is not the reason they've had trouble, I can tell you that. My older LRH by the way measures .5005, and the disc extreme measures .4990. I knew it was bigger.

Not quite right. A 52 caliber would be .520 give or take a few thousandths. A lot of 50 caliber rifles have a bore of .5025 or larger. Some of the whites are .504. If your other knights are trully .5005 and .4990 they have extremely tight bores for knights. I would have a hard time loading my loads in them.
Art

flounder said:
Not quite right. A 52 caliber would be .520 give or take a few thousandths. A lot of 50 caliber rifles have a bore of .5025 or larger. Some of the whites are .504. If your other knights are trully .5005 and .4990 they have extremely tight bores for knights. I would have a hard time loading my loads in them.
Art

Ditto!

Back