New Knight LRH has some issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I shot her today and so far so good, sort of. I was using the FPJ setup, with Remington STS primers, 90 gr BH 209 and the Hornady FPBs. First three shots were hangfires. That had me concerned, but was using an old box of primers. Switched to a brand new box and didn't have another hangfire. Not sure if it was the primers or maybe the oils in the barrel that it was shipped with? I forgot to bring anything to really clean the barrel before I loaded it the first time, so just ran a couple of patches through it and then popped a couple of caps. The Hornady's are a good snug fit and are seated tightly on the powder.

Once it started shooting reliably, I moved back to 100 yards and it was in the 3" group range from the start. Got too hot and ran out of time, so couldn't try any other combos, but for me with open sights, that is pretty good.

Couple of questions:

Should I be worried about the hangfires? I really don't know if it was just being a new gun or if I really might have a problem wtih these primers. I am going to try and pick up some CCIM primers and try them.

Will I be more likely to have hangfires with the bare primer set up with the dome breech plug?

Can you reuse the Full plastic jackets more than once at the range? They seemed to be in pretty good shape after one use, but I have never used them before.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

txhunter58

Should I be worried about the hangfires? I really don't know if it was just being a new gun or if I really might have a problem wtih these primers. I am going to try and pick up some CCIM primers and try them.

More than likely part of the problem may have been oil in the BP, especially if you were unable to strip clean the gun before shooting.

Will I be more likely to have hangfires with the bare primer set up with the dome breech plug?

Well here, may be a big part of your hang fire problem. If you have the domed BP - it really was never designed for shooting BH. It was designed to cut down on blow back using the other subs. The flash hole is very small in the domed plug. I shoot the FPJ very well with BH but I am using the concave BP. It does have a larger flash channel.

Can you reuse the Full plastic jackets more than once at the range? They seemed to be in pretty good shape after one use, but I have never used them before.

I am a cheap son-o-gun... I resuse them all the time, in 6-7 times but only at the range hunting I use new ones only. Of course the more you re-use them the looser they become and the more blow back you are likely to experiance.

Also do not forget, if you are using those really hot primers - you will probably have ream the the flash channel out every so often. I try to remember to drill it out every 12 shots...

I was using the concave breech plug with the FPJ set up. I have the domed one for bare primer, but was not sure if it would work with BH.

Glad to hear it probably was the oil. It did reliably go off for the next 12 shots after the first three.

What do you use to clean the flash channel for the LRH FPJ breechplug? I use a 1/8 inch drill for my Omega, but this one is new to me.

txhunter58

Match a drill bit to a clean flash channel - then I drill a hole in a chunk of dowel and glue the bit in... Make the dowel long enough that you can reach in and clear the channel without removing the BP - just gotta take the bolt out...

LongNippledrill.jpg

txhunter58

I believe it will - you will have to verify...

Double checking! I am talking about the flash channel under the 209- not the flash hole...

sabotloader said:
txhunter58

I believe it will - you will have to verify...

Double checking! I am talking about the flash channel under the 209- not the flash hole...

Correct. I was able to get a 1/8 inch drillbit and it seems to be just right for the flash channel under the 209.

I will say this, we shot both my Omega and the new LRH today. The Omega had a lot of hard debree in the flash channel to remove, the LRH hardly any.

If it makes you feel better, my first two or three shots from my LRH were hangfires also with BH. I was shooting powerbelts b/c i thought the full bore bullet would help break in the gun. After three shots I switched to sabots with W209 primers and have not had another hangfire.

unfortunately I can not switch to sabots because I am hunting Colorado. But I am using the Hornady FPB and they seat pretty firmly. Others have shot them from the LRH with good success.

TritonK said:
If it makes you feel better, my first two or three shots from my LRH were hangfires also with BH. I was shooting powerbelts b/c i thought the full bore bullet would help break in the gun. After three shots I switched to sabots with W209 primers and have not had another hangfire.

Try the Platinums, They have a larger diameter gas check for the knights and larger bore muzzleloaders.

Back