Wet news paper test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Found a nice plastic container the other day and took my news paper stock and stuffed an amazing amount of news paper into it and wet it down. Its 12" long, Do you think that will be enough to spot a 348gr powerbelt? I plan on testing it at 50 yards with 90gr 3f goex. I have to sight the rifle dead on @ 50 so i dont ruin it. One shot it all i will have with this container.

Im going to let the water soak in over night and tomorrow i'll do the actual job.

Newspaper001.jpg

Newspaper002.jpg

Newspaper003.jpg

That's a close call... It might catch it if the plastic container is not tied down a lot.

I'll guess if you tie the container down tight it goes through; but stays in the container if you just stand it up.

that is a tough call. i do this all the time and bullets usually go further than that. although it is a powerbelt so just the sunday paper alone will stop it when it fragments! :lol: J/K

Fill the container with water as well. Then it might stop it. And it will be cool when it blows up.

i took 2 shots at 50 yards to insure that the rifle was sighted in. It was perfect. 90gr 3f goex sure has a hell of a kick to it! Both shots the rifle jumped out of my hands. Tomorrow i'll go ahead and do the wet sand paper test.

im bettin not. I plan on putting my insert plug into the HP cavity. I had the 245s with 100gr RS @ 50 yards going through 16" phone books. Semi wet phone books.

FG

I do not think Spencer was talking about the bullet blowing - I THINK he is saying the container will...

Personally I am thinking at 50 yards you should get a through and through...

sabotloader said:
FG

I do not think Spencer was talking about the bullet blowing - I THINK he is saying the container will...

Personally I am thinking at 50 yards you should get a through and through...

Yup, that's what I meant. I just don't think the bottle will be able to contain that kind of pressure.

Okay I invite Jerry Falwell out to the range and he does the shooting. Then he mud wrestles Larry Flynt.

this is just gonna get worse...isn't it.

OptimaAndy said:
Well, whats taking so long......

It takes a while to fix a 4 wheeler with a pocket knife :lol: I hate atv's and all of their damn electronics. The first 9 miles went great, We enter Spanish Peaks state wildlife area and take one of the rougher roads to a big meadow. Didnt make it! Started up a steep climb and we're movin along and. Blllllluuuuuummmmm. Look down at the guage, Ugh oh, No power :evil: We spent around 20 minutes looking for broken wires and found none. Replaced one bad fuse, didnt do anything to help us. I figured that we'd have a long push back to the HQ area where the DOW officer could maybe give us a lift home but i remembered the pull start and on the 3rd go it fired up. Ran into a new problem as i went to floor it, it bogged down and kept sputtering like there was a rev limiter on. We milked it home and parked it. Bad enough that its going to cost $400 to replace the clutch.

Do i dare try shooting my rifle today? :shock:

4wheeling001.jpg

And here we are broke down,
4wheeling004.jpg

Got it done today. It went completely through leaving a huge exit hole and i found it apox. 3 feet behind the target. This was a regular Hollow Point Powerbelt. I will test out my inserts next. I went to grab one and found that i had run out. Will cast some more later on this week.

90gr 3F Goex, 348gr HP Powerbelt, 50 yards.

Movie link,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI-68FdOi5U

50yardpapertest348Hp007.jpg

50yardpapertest348Hp008.jpg

Exit,
50yardpapertest348Hp002.jpg

50yardpapertest348Hp003.jpg

Recovered Weight - 181 grains.
50yardpapertest348Hp004.jpg

50yardpapertest348Hp005.jpg

50yardpapertest348Hp006.jpg

Jeez! That bullet looks like a smushed Hersheys Kiss. I would hate to see what would happen to it if it hit some bone... :shock:

yep i wasnt impressed at all. 181 grains out of 348? Not good!

I tested my 245s on semi damp phone books months ago and they held form. This testing was much better and i plan on doing it again real soon. I wont bother testing the Aerotips.

fg

the moment after contact - if I knew how to work my oicture editing program - could probably make it more clear. But you can definitely see the water coming out the back....

FG-JugPic.jpg

181gr compared to 381 grain - so a loss of .4750 or 47.5% of its weight. But that is exactly what liquid will do to a soft lead bullet. And in my thinking you certainly were not pushing it very hard at all with 90 grains GOEX -3f...

Latest posts

Back