PERSONAL HOBBIES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll offer something to this thread.
I play Bluegrass (and some Irish and Jazz style), 5 string banjo and have for many years. SOme 20 years ago, I played with an amateur Bluegrass band, the Ralston Creek Bluegrass Band.
My love of nicely figured wood in muzzleloaders as well as some of the decorations comes about through appreciation of banjos. In the 1880-1920 period, the banjo was considered an acceptable parlor instrument for women and for financially well-positioned Ivy League College students. As a result, banjos of the period were decorated with pearl and abalone inlay, almost to excess.
Here is a period instrument resonator:
lighth10.jpg

A "peghead" area with the tuning pegs:
peghea10.jpg

My banjos are not so ornate, but are made with very nice striped maple and quilted mahogany.
Bishline "Cimarron" quilted mahogany resonator:
bishli10.jpg

Its a "Beaver" pattern I found on a muzzle loading site sometime back. Kind of fun looking at the different loading block patterns and trying to replicate them. I need to get a different pattern for my 54 as these were made for my 50.
MikeW

No, Sir. I purchased the ball bags as well as some other leather goods from a professional. I have neither the knowledge or talent to make fine leather items.
Ron

Since it's seems best to stay at home with COVID-19 floating around, I though I'd start to brush-up again on one of my "other" hobbies. I'm working now on a classical version for the the GAME OF THRONES theme song, and also taking lessons for the irish guitar. It's never too late to learn.
Here's an old tune some of you might recognize. ( excuse the poor recording ).

If you're sheltered-in, what are you doing to pass the time indoors?

I could say I read a lot, and I do, but that sounds sorta "lame". As painful as it is to admit, I have absolutely NO talents for anything PERIOD! Up until the last few years I trained intensively in the martial arts. But currently the opportunity doesn't exist for me. But more directly medical issues severely limit what I can practice - maybe 5% of what I once did. In general, I possess no talent for that either. When folks ask me about that I'm honest and answer that 60 years of harsh training will reward anybody with a few modest skills.

Tinkering and cobbling up shooting related stuff is something I enjoy. Again, no talent. But...a blind squirrel will find an acorn on rare occasion. These are a few items I "produced".
89b20b4a-02bd-41be-9eb6-81dadfa7c30e-zpsd567bcc6.jpg

PICT0382.jpg

PICT0568-zps9df29541.jpg

The only thing I can verify is that this stuff does function fairly well for my purposes. Some posted previously, some ought to never have been posted.

Nicely done, Marty!

You've done some good work, Hanshi.
I still haven't accepted some on my physical limitations do to health problems. You seem to have come to terms with your particular health issues.
Ron

Wow. So much talent and expertise. I've really spent most of my leisure time outdoors hunting and fishing. I like to bird, hike and golf . Do some vegetable gardening and foraging. Love music but really never made the commitment to actually learn to play guitar. Have an acoustic and can strum a few chords but that's about it. Made a three or four rod racks recently but nothing fancy, more functional. I impressed with the craftsmanship of many fellow forum members.

Nicely done, Marty!

You've done some good work, Hanshi.
I still haven't accepted some on my physical limitations do to health problems. You seem to have come to terms with your particular health issues.
Ron

Sometimes life doesn't allow us to have a choice; and I know that you know.

I could say I read a lot, and I do, but that sounds sorta "lame". As painful as it is to admit, I have absolutely NO talents for anything PERIOD! Up until the last few years I trained intensively in the martial arts. But currently the opportunity doesn't exist for me. But more directly medical issues severely limit what I can practice - maybe 5% of what I once did. In general, I possess no talent for that either. When folks ask me about that I'm honest and answer that 60 years of harsh training will reward anybody with a few modest skills.

Tinkering and cobbling up shooting related stuff is something I enjoy. Again, no talent. But...a blind squirrel will find an acorn on rare occasion. These are a few items I "produced".

PICT0382.jpg

PICT0568-zps9df29541.jpg

The only thing I can verify is that this stuff does function fairly well for my purposes. Some posted previously, some ought to never have been posted.
Nice work

Up grading the new(old) smaller house and running lead. .355, 395, 457, 475, 535, 600 and 582 minnies

Since it's seems best to stay at home with COVID-19 floating around, I though I'd start to brush-up again on one of my "other" hobbies. I'm working now on a classical version for the the GAME OF THRONES theme song, and also taking lessons for the irish guitar. It's never too late to learn.
Here's an old tune some of you might recognize. ( excuse the poor recording ).

If you're sheltered-in, what are you doing to pass the time indoors?

Hey Marty.
Wow, that's impressive. You are really good. Really first class finger picking and neck work. Personally I don't think you need ANY lessons. I play and fingerpick also (not at your level). I play some melody but it's more picking and singing. Started out in Folk music but mostly today it's stuff like Gorden Lightfoot, some country and have been writing some of my own songs. I am not familiar with the Irish Guitar? Is that a separate instrument or a different style of playing? FP

PICT0382.jpg

PICT0568-zps9df29541.jpg

Hanshi, I think you are really talented. I couldn't make some of those items and they look great to me. FP

Latest posts

Back