BH209 is GREAT! but is it really as accurate as T7 swabbed?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smong2000

Reaction score
First off, I love BH209 and am on my 3rd jug :D , but I honestly think it's not quite as accurate in my T/C rifles as T7 loose FFF. It's darn good and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with it, but I just can't squeeze out the same groups as I can with T7 (and I've switched back and forth on the same days). Granted that I weigh out both propellants and swab between shots with T7 and don't with BH209. The advantages certainly out weigh the slight loss I see and I'll be using it, but I just can't decide if I haven't found the sweet spot yet or if it's the nature of the beast.

How about you guys, can you honestly say you are getting as good or better accuracy than you could get with the other stuff? Thanks

Yes...think it just depends on the rifle,but mine is as accurate if not more with BH209.... smong2000,how that stock working for you?

Sabots are one of the key factors with any muzzleoader. BH209 might just need a sabot change to match or beat your 777 groups. :)

Grouse said:
Sabots are one of the key factors with any muzzleoader. BH209 might just need a sabot change to match or beat your 777 groups. :)

RIGHT!

I think Blackhorn 209 has the POTENTIAL to be the most accurate muzzleloading powder BUT...it may require a sabot or even a bullet change.

smong2000

can you honestly say you are getting as good or better accuracy than you could get with the other stuff

I can not honestly tell you that I have shot enough BH to correctly answer your question... but I really do think it could be as accurate if not more accurate... but... I think there is a different leaning curve to succesfully shooting BH to achieve it's highest effeciency. I personally believe that BH is a smokeless progressive burning powder that has bulked up to some what match the volume measures of BP. If what I am suggesting is correct it also goes along with the fact that BH is more picky about how it is shot, where old fashioned BP and the subs are not quite as picky. They really do not dependent on compression to work as much as BH is.

If you find the correct combination of factors - sabot/bullet combination, load weight, even the amount of pressure that you apply to the load on top of the powder. It will work for you. To me it is much like reloading for a centerfire rifle - you must be more deliberate in your load developement - but once you have it - you have.

but I just can't decide if I haven't found the sweet spot yet or if it's the nature of the beast.

I know exactly what you mean... but I think it really is a matter of developing a precise metod of loading and the right combination of materials that you are using...

That said - I am staying with T7 for the immediate future - but I am one of the fortunate ones that does not suffer the feared "crud ring" and I do not need to swab after each shot.

Having spent a LOT of time with different bullets, sabots, primers with 777 2F and then shooting Blackhorn, I am staying with the 777. Swabbing with a patch between shots is NOT a big thing to me and the accuracy with the 777 is superior (twice as good as the Blackhorn. So, I'm not buying the hype. I also don't want to spend a whole summer redeveloping a load with Blackhorn when the 777 shoots really well in my Knight. And is more available and costs less. I have a ton of sabot/bullets that I'm not ready to throw away just because they don't shoot as well with the Blackhorn. Just my 2 cents.

I have had much more success with BH209 at high speeds than I did with T7. I went through 3f and 2f T7 and do not like the stuff. I went back to Pyrodex till I found BH209.

smong2000
There are several possabilities, are you using the same sabot you did with 777 or Pyrodex? Most of us had to change.
Then there are some guns that just dont like a certain powder, I have an Omega that dont like 777 and a Triumph that dont like Pyrodex thank goodness they both shoot sub .5 inch groups with BH from time to time [when ever I am shooting good and conditions are good at the same time]
While it may not work for some people [nothing works for every gun] it sure reduced my groups by 2/3. Lee

Thanks Guys! Still working at it...

Well I haven't given up yet because intuitively, I feel like it should do better. Last count I had 7 sabots types and 9 bullets that I shotgun approached in 2 different rifles. Now I'm limiting my experimenting to 1 gun and going to try 3 different bullets, SW, XTP , and Barnes TMZ. Maybe throw in 2 bullet weights for each and 3 powder weights.... :shock: Holy cow, I've got a lot of 'work' left to do. If I get sick of it or run out of money and time I can always go back to Ol Faithful T7 for hunting season. I'm sooo jealous of the guys who can throw a charge, knock down the 1st bullet they try and get groups they're happy with while I'm fussing over 1 1/2" because I know it should do better. Maybe I need to get on some medication or therapy - It's not just an obsession, it's a compulsion :( .

I got it!!!!! (at least for the Omega)

Just got back in from the range and got some groups that are 'there' with BH209 (for me) :D . Too windy for 100 yds so shot at 50 yds and got a 1 holer - I mean edge to edge .65" with my Barnes TMZ 245 in yellow sabots over 120 gr (vol). Also got a clover with XTP .430 240's and short green sabots over 75 gr (weight) that was under an inch edge to edge. Finally, shot some T/C SW 300 gr out of the box sabots with 75 gr (weight) with a little over an inch edge to edge, but just about had to hammer them down. I was going too light apparently and my groups tightened up when I tried some heavier charges. Surprizingly though, my Omega loves the TMZ/yellow sabots and they are so loose going in with BH209 it makes me nervous. Can't argue with the groups though, the sabots must 'slug up' behind that boat-tail and get the pressure just right.
Can you tell I'm excited .:lol: :lol: :lol: Boy a 12x power scope at 50 yds sure lets you hold 'fine' and let you know what your load is doing.

Back