Powder measuring need confirmation on weights grain vs. gram

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayerextreme

Reaction score
going to start using the "weight" instead of the volume method....but before I purchase a digital scale, I just wanted to confirm the the "gr" actually means GRAMS.

until now, I always thought "grains" when I seen the "gr"

but when I was reviewing all the digital scales, almost all measurements were in grams

now that I'm using BH 209, I really want to see just how accurate I can get my front stuffer, and I believe that weight should hopefully be more consistant than volume

As far as I know... the unit grams(gm) is really never used on this board. Grains(gr or grs) is the measurement used. You may also see gV(grains by volume) or gW(grains by weight).

1gm = 15.432 gr
1gr = 64.8mg or 0.0658gm

Now the conversion from propellent VOLUME grains to propellant WEIGHT grains can be a little more confusing and it depends on the propellent being used. Best to pour your own and weight it.

Powder is measured in Grains ,Never in grams though some of the old black powder loads for shot guns were measured in drams which is different than grams.
Myself and others here have tried weighing BH to see if it made a difference, in my experience it did not make a difference, a good powder measure with a funnel leveling the top, I will use TC see through measure as an example, measures more accurate than pellets and accurate enough that you can not tell the difference in group size. Lee

Yup powder is measured in grains. Grams are a larger unit. 100 grams is almost 1/4 pound. That's a tinsy winsy bit :? too much in a muzzle loader. Might work in a cannon :wink:

As already stated you need to look for reloading scales not just digital scales. Try the Midsouth or Midway mailorder houses under reloading supplies for a good digital scale that measures in grains. I do weigh some of my muzzleloading loads but after measuring with two different volume measures and averaging the results from the volume to weight conversion. I also have seen little benefit but I do it anyway.

Latest posts

Back