700ml @ the Farm with BH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Another day another shooting adventure...

Couple of peole have asked about shooting BH in a Remington 700ML - Now I gotta tel uall - I know there is a lot of you out there that do not like this ML - but it is my all time favorite... got 2 em would not trade for the world... I think I can do anything with them you can do with your modern inlines - SO tady I went to prove my feelings.... the Remington will shoot BH and it will shot it as accurate as the shooter is.

Acually there was a small worry on my part, because the Remington is an open breech with a falling hammer - not what Western recommends. I was worried about the primer flying apart as it did in the White and possible a real stiff blowback re-cocking the hammer.

Because of these concerns I started shooting 90gr and worked to 120 grs. My normal load in this gun is 110 grains of T7-2f - so venturing out to 120 was really an experiment but I am glad I did.

With the copper weather shield and the Cabelas conversion I have no concerns about shooting BH in the Remington. It shot adsolutely great. It did not match the velocity of the Knight with like amount of powder, but I think I can explain that also. The bore of the Remington is slightly larger than the Knight and the Orange MMP's fit a little looser - not loose enough that I would ever be concerned, but definitely not as tight as the Knight and a lot tighter than the White.

Here is the target information - remember this is a 50 yard target so those cloverleafs do not count in real life.

1 slight hang fire - but I did find I needed to compress the sabot on to the powder - no further hang fires...

9-8RemTargBHLabel.jpg

Here is a collection pictures that might also provide additional information.

picCollection.jpg

Pic #1 - the external blowback in the bolt area is no worse than any other open breech gun. Nothing on the scope. And really not a lot showing out of the relief whole in the weather shield
Pic#2 - Internal bowback - I can handle that - that is not bad
Pic#3 - Several of the primers were pushed back like this inside the breech are - but only 2 shots re-cocked the bolt. I get simular resuts shooting T7. Another point this 209 Nipple has had a LOT of shots go through it. The flash hole does not look it has eroded at all but possibly a new nipple would stop a lot of this.
Pic #4 - The collected primers - CCI 209m - only the one came copletely apart - the primer cup stayed in the nipple but the primer was laying loose in the reciever - a lot of them were close... I am think Busta said that he was shooting another primer that did not come apart as easy - I think Federals - might have to try to find some
Pic #5- Rem on the Farm - pea field...

Have not cleaned it yet so can not tell you about that - I get to it tonight after football practice...

Guess that is it...

That is still some nice shooting. You seldom hear bad things about the Remington other then they might not clean as easy as other rifles. But to me that is not a big deal.

Thanks for the report on the 700ml and BH. I have a 54 caliber 700ML and it shoots good with Triple7, and seeing that I have about 5 pounds of it, I don't see a compelling reason to switch to the more expensive BH. I appreciate you doing our experimenting.

How does your weather shield attach?

Is it for rain or will it contain primers that fly apart?

I have a TC System One of similar design. I have have CCI primers fly apart and an occasional re cock of the hammer using Triple 7.

It would appear that BH209 is not much different the Triple 7.

I bought a Triumph specifically to shoot this powder but I am going to keep the System One and was planning to try the BH209.

I know what the Blackhorn site says about this style of primer holder,

Does anybody see why BH209 would be anymore unsafe than Triple 7 in this gun?

Thanks for the great report! From what I see, the pics. of the breach look about the same as my 700ML after sthooting T7. And I Don't have the 209 conversion I 'am shooting a musket cap. I feel the same way about my 700ML I love it. It shoots quarter size groups at 50yrds. My son loves it too, he shot his frist deer with it two years ago when he was 7 years old.

Mike you need to be careful it's growing on you, soon you will find out just how good it can be them one hole groups are addictive. Lee

walleye

It is a compression fit to shoulder on the front of the bolt as if it were the weather shield that Remington use to offer. If I get a chance to clean the gun tonight I'll get a picture and post it. It really is pretty simple.

Is it for rain or will it contain primers that fly apart?

It really works well in both cases. Normally I just use a shotgun shell casing - but in this case because i was concerned about flying parts I went to the copper fitting that I had modified.... Did not need it I could have used the regular 20 guage shotgun casing.

It would appear that BH209 is not much different the Triple 7.

That is pretty much my take on the whole thing - but it is non-corrosive and no swabbing necessary + plus it does give a small boost in FPS.

I bought a Triumph specifically to shoot this powder but I am going to keep the System One and was planning to try the BH209.

I am not familiar enough with the System One to make a decision but I think LEE9 has one and has tried BH in it - might contact him.

kevinbrian

Both of my Remingtons are outstanding shooters - far better than the nut behind the trigger can shoot.

Sometimes I wish I could send one to a real shooter like Lee or Chuck and see what they get.

sabotloader said:
kevinbrian

Both of my Remingtons are outstanding shooters - far better than the nut behind the trigger can shoot.

Sometimes I wish I could send one to a real shooter like Lee or Chuck and see what they get.

Have you adjusted the trigger? The 700 trigger is easy to adjust. This will usually help groups shrink.

I have the Remington weather shield on my 700ML. Works great. I love my 700ML. Handles and shoots great. Just have to clean the inside of the bolt regularly, not a big problem.

Glad yours are doing so great.

DPH

Have you adjusted the trigger? The 700 trigger is easy to adjust.

Oh ya! a long time ago... A lot of people do not like the Walker trigger but it sure works for me....

Last week before I started shooting ML again - I had to take a freinds Ruger 77 Mark II in 270 out to sight it in - I put a new scope on it. I had always heard the Ruger 77 was such a great rifle - but the trigger is terrible on this one - so I jerked the stock off and figure I would adjust the trigger while I had - no such luck - that would really tick me off - sur glad I never bought a one. Any pulling that trigger off a bench at at target was really a chore - hunting you might not even notice it - but it really effected me when I took the Knight out and shot it the first time - I had trigger memory - thought I had broken the trigger in the Knight I pulled so hard...

Cleaning the the bolt is a must but it really is not that bad especially of you have a 700 bolt tool... although that is one of the biggest complaints...

sabotloader said:
DPH

Have you adjusted the trigger? The 700 trigger is easy to adjust.

Oh ya! a long time ago... A lot of people do not like the Walker trigger but it sure works for me....

Last week before I started shooting ML again - I had to take a freinds Ruger 77 Mark II in 270 out to sight it in - I put a new scope on it. I had always heard the Ruger 77 was such a great rifle - but the trigger is terrible on this one - so I jerked the stock off and figure I would adjust the trigger while I had - no such luck - that would really tick me off - sur glad I never bought a one. Any pulling that trigger off a bench at at target was really a chore - hunting you might not even notice it - but it really effected me when I took the Knight out and shot it the first time - I had trigger memory - thought I had broken the trigger in the Knight I pulled so hard...

Cleaning the the bolt is a must but it really is not that bad especially of you have a 700 bolt tool... although that is one of the biggest complaints...

I've ALWAYS liked the Walker trigger too! Easy to adjust and if you don't do crazy with too light of a trigger, perfectly safe. Ruger 77...If you got one of the tang saftety ones, the trigger was usually very good. Later triggers with the Model 70 style safety usually range from acceptable to TERRIBLE and usually needs replacing with a Timney. My tang safety .35 Whelen has a GREAT trigger. My mod 70 style safety 30-06 is accetable but the 7mmRem Mag was a joke and was replaced.

The 700ML is one of the FEW that I've never owned. Great report and thanx for the pictures!

[
Cleaning the the bolt is a must but it really is not that bad especially of you have a 700 bolt tool... although that is one of the biggest complaints...[/quote]

Actually I use a pair of pliars to pull the firing pin - hammer back and put a dime in the groove and unscrew it. This makes it easy to clean the bolt.

DPH

Here is a pic of the Remington bolt tool made by somebody for Remington - really makes it and easy job to dissasemble the bolt...

RemBoltTool-1.jpg

big6x6

You called it... it is a model 70 style safety and the the trigger is terrible... Glad it is not mine... I would hate to let him shoot my A-bolt or Tikka well actually anything I own - even the old model 94 30-30 has a better trigger pull...

walleye

Here are a couple of pics... you can see the depression on the nose of the bolt for the insertion of a factory weather shield... I have taken a piece of copper tubing - cut it to length drilled a gas hole - then insert it on the face of the bolt. Turn the vent hole to the side and you have it...

RemBoltNose.jpg

InsertingWShield.jpg

Too bad Remington discontinued that 700ML. Thier latest "Genesis" offering will never compare.

UC

I did look at the plug and the nipple - they both look like new - but I only took 13 shots with 4 @ 90 - 3@100 - 3@110 & 3@120... so I guess i would not expect any thing... It has 100's of T7 shots through it - with the same nipple and breech plug.

Hey sabotloader, what size pipe and gas hole did you drill in the copper tubing? I like the looks of that and I'm gonna try that on my 700ml's.

Latest posts

Back