turkey gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbarnettoc14

Reaction score
Looking to buy a Turkey gun this winter for Ohio spring season... does anyone have any recommendations? I have been looking at Rem 870s and Mossberg 835s... any info would be great! Thanks to all!

I have both, a 870 and a 835 ulti mag. When I first started turkey hunting I used the 835 with a extra full choke because it would put the smack down on a turkey at 45 yds. I've since left the 835 in the gun rack and started using the 870 because I no longer shoot past 25 yds.
I can tell you that 835 with 3 1/2" 2 1/4oz turkey loads will kill on both ends. It kicks like a mule and I'm not recoil shy. Thats the only gun I've got that ever put a bruise on my shoulder.

I don't own either one of the guns you have listed. But if I had the choice I would go with the 870. But my recommendation is a Benelli. :D

To me this is my perfect turkey shotgun. As light as possible. Multiple shots. Sling ready, interchangeable chokes, 3 inch mag capable. Short Barrel Has to have sights. I use a Winchester 1300 with a 22 inch barrel and a comp-n-choke and any turkey 40 yds and under is dead except one in Kansas I missed using a red dot scope. I want sights on my gun because of the extremely tight pattern at 20 yds and under. I want a light gun because sometimes you have to hold that thing up forever and about 15 minutes. Recoil is not felt when shooting at game.

turkey

Man, I am not recoil shy but theose 3.5 " shells pound you. I shot the box (4 in a box) and never bought them again. 3" is plenty, just make sure you know your pattern. That is the biggest turkey miss problem not seeing your pattern on paper. I use the Benelli Nova w/ a compensator. Economical and well built gun. Very light to carry.

I have both of those guns and either one will do the job well with the right choke and shell. I prefer Rem. nitro 3", great patterns from both guns.

I had taken my first turkey with my Winchester 1300.

I have had both the 835 and the 870 Super Mag. I only have the 870 Super Mag. If your wanting a pump 3.5" go with the 870, just a better pump gun all around, the 835 is a good gun but the 870 is better. You will never feel the recoil when shooting a turkey but patterning them is not a lot of fun. My 835 would not pattern with the extra full turkey choke that came with it but patterned extremely good with the full choke shooting Federal 3.5 mag, 4 shot 2 1/4oz loads. I bought a Madd Maxx .665 turkey choke for my 80 super mag and with Win HV 3.5" 5 shot 2oz loads and the pattern it throws out to 50 yds is ridiculous it is so good. The 870 doesn't kick as bad as the 835 but it still kicks.

870's are very reliable. I have an old Wingmaster 2 3/4 that I use for turkey hunting and just about everything else. Am looking to upgrade to a 3" receiver.

Patterning any turkey gun is a must. I started out with the win XXFull turkey tube and Winchester Super x 3 inch # 6 shot at 1 7/8 ox loads. I got pretty good patterns out to 50 yds. A couple of weeks later I tried my son's comp-n-choke at a very very tight .655 restriction and was absolutely amazed that I got a 20 yd pattern with this choke at 50 yds. We both then tried federal #6 shot at 2 oz loads and they patterned tight but was about a foot higher than the Winchesters. Turkey hunting with a shotgun is a hit em in the beak affair and without sights and a knowledge of what that pattern is doing at your predetermined max distance you have at least two strikes against you before you start. Do not be afraid to use a sissy pad (our term for a 3 inch thick soft foam) under your shirt because as said before man those guns kick when patterning them.

Back