Huntin big mulie bucks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WA. Smoke

Reaction score
Can now use any projectile in washington state!

Thinking about going muzzyloader for deer this year. Looking for info on what load is your favorite mulie slayer!!

Think I'll forsure drop down to a 240gr or so bullet.

In wash it's exposed nipples only on inlines. No 209 primers allowed.

My rifle is a Thompson Center Firehawk ss/walnut. I've really no interest in shooting anymore than 110 grs of 777.

Just wanta flatten it out a bit to the 200yd mark.(Max I'll shoot)

Thanks for any type of bullet weight suggestions!

When I was shooting an in line I used 300 grain XTP over 2 777 pellets. It did wonders on white tail and mule deer. Now shoot a savage and went to 250 SST and bonded SW's over 43 grains of 4759. Still very effective.

Okay then... If it were ME I'd certainly give a Parker 275gr Ballistic Extreme a try. I KNOW that would be about perfect BUT...I'm not so sure it will be accurate with that twist rate. If that didn't group I'd go the 250gr route such as a SST/Shockwave/Ballistic Extreme...

I will hopefully be hunting big bucks at timberline in Colorado next fall which limits me to conicals. I have been shooting the 350 grain FPB's but will at least give the 270 platintum powerbelts a try and possibly the new THOR bullet (all copper). However, the only one that would be Colorado legal of the Thor bullets will be the 250 grain and that will only be if you remove the plastic tip (or cut it off flush)

Guess it will depend on whether or not I draw a cow elk muzzy tag too. If so , I will have to stay with the bigger FPB. They fly pretty flat too.

put in for both deer ( both sexes) and cow elk. If i draw a deer and elk tag im using the 348gr Powerbelt and going to test my insert. 100gr RS and im not sure yet which rifle i will use.

Back