t/c maxi-balls

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k

Reaction score
how many of you folks use them on elk? pet loads?

I have used the 370gr on both mulies and black bears and they tend to over penetrate without too much expansion...but they will make two holes in most large animals. I used 90 gr. of Pyro Select.
IMO, not the best choice unless regulations require an all lead conical.

lost 2 deer with them my first year muzzleloading. Barely got the 3rd deer and it took 2 shots. These were the 240gr? .45cal maxiballs.

I've shot deer with them but never elk (lucky devil.. get to hunt elk with a muzzleloader). The deer I shot were dead in their tracks. I read of one person shooting and elk out of a CVA Bobcat using the maxiball and he spined the elk and dropped it where it stood. He then pumped one more into the neck just to put the animal down. I really see no reason why they would not work. Especially if they are accurate. Any time you can put a .50 caliber hole through the vital organs of an animal, there is a very good chance that animal will die.

You should get great penetration with them as well. I person living near me hunts all the time with 70 grain of Pyrodex RS and a maxiball out of his New Englander. He shoots deer and bear with them and never seems to have a problem harvesting them at all.

I have killed a couple of deer with the .54 caliber TC Maxi Ball and it worked just fine.

Depending on the accuracy you get, it will work just dandy on elk.

Those big hunks of lead really work.

My TC Hawken won't shoot them worth a darn, the 1:48 twist is marginal for a big slug like this. I've had much better luck and accuracy with the Great Plains 385 grain hollow base bullet (either hollow or solid point) over 100 grains of Pyrodex. Three elk, all pass-throughs, all dead within 50 yards.

I"ve only shot 1 deer 130g 777 and maxi-ball 370g out a triumph,quarteting away bullet entered behind last rib and prety much blowing apart opposing shoulder with huge exit. if i can find enough work i"ll try to get back to get back to colo. for ml elk this yr.....

You should give the Hornady 350 grain FPB's a try. You have to remove the plastic tip or cut it off flush with the front of the bullet to make them Colorado legal (length), but they fly well, the front mushrooms well and the back stays together well. Killed an elk for me this last fall.

That said, they are good elk medicine. However if I wanted to stick with a pure lead conical, it would be the 460 grain no excuse bullet.

Back