Barnes T EZ bullet/sabot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlander

Reaction score
Read an article about these bullets and Harvester Crush Rib sabots, the sabots come in several sizes ---- .400 .421-.430 .451-.452, can some one explain the differences on these. Thanks

I'm shooting a Omega 50 cal. and am looking for a better performing bullet/load.
Have shot powerbelts before and not impressed with there performance, have taken several deer with them though.
Shooting T/C Shockwaves now and also have taken a few deer with them also and like how they performed but they load somewhat hard.

The Barnes TEZ is a great performing bullet. I've used the 250 gr and the 290 gr on deer with great results.

250 gr recovered from a doe
Matts2nddoebarnesbullet.jpg

You would want the 50 caliber sabot for a .451-.452 caliber bullet when using the Barnes TEZ (if shooting a .400 cal bullet, you would get a 50 cal sabot for a .400 cal bullet, etc.).

I just tried the Harvester Crush Rib sabot with a 290 gr TEZ bullet, but my Pursuit didn't like it. It was too loose. I used a MMP HPH-12 sabot with the TEZ bullet and that combo my gun liked.

I would try the supplied blue sabots that come with the TEZ bullets first to see if your Omega likes them or not. Then you can always try other brands of sabots.

Also check out the STICKY in the INLINE MUZZLELOADING section on sabot and bullet measurements, there is lots of good info. there.

Check out the Parker Ballistic Extreme not as expensive as the Barnes but a great bullet. I use the Ballistic Extreme 275 gr.

Try the Harvester Black Crush Rib Sabot #H15045BR from Midsouth--50 pack for under $6.

This Crush Rib sabot should load a little easier with the Shock Wave than the sabots the Shock Waves come with.

And try the Harvester Short Black (smooth) Sabot #H5045SB from Midsouth--50 pack under $5.

These sabots are for shooting .45 caliber (.451-.452) bullets in .50 caliber muzzleloaders.

My Omega likes the Short Blacks with 250 grain T/C Shock Waves, and the Crush Ribs with Hornady .452 XTP bullets, both the 250 grain (Hornady #45200) and the 300 grain (Hornady #45230).

Harvester's Green sabots are for shooting .44 bullets (.429-.430) in .50 caliber muzzleloaders and they work well in some rifles too.

Barnes makes great bullets--try their FLAT BASE bullets in the Black Harvester sabots too. You can mix and match all you want -- just keep .45 bullets with Black Harvesters and .44 bullets with Green Harvesters.

Back