Lead fowling

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbeers

Reaction score
I shoot conicals in my great plains hunter.Anybody have any idea how long it takes for a fella to get lead fowling build up in the riflings that causes accuracy problems? How do you deal with removing it? how often?

When you clean the barrel and swab the barrel you will start to see small specks of lead fouling. Also your accuracy normally fall off. Take some brake cleaner or solvent that removes lead. Take the barrel out of the stock outside. And spray the brake cleaner or saturate a patch with the solvent that removes lead and swab the barrel.

Then dunk a brush in the solvent and work that through the barrel. Do at least ten strokes. Then another solvent patch and swab the barrel. Keep doing that until you no longer see the small speck.

It will take a lot of shooting of conical bullets before you see any lead build up. Just have fun and keep shooting.

I will not swear to it, but I use it all the time in my inlines. I shoot White Rifles with large conicals. I shoot brake cleaner through the barrel and after a thousand rounds, have never seen a sign of lead fouling. It is a good cleaner for hard to clean rifles, but it is hard on stocks.

There are solvents like Birchwood Casey Solvent, Montana X-treme Cowboy Solvent, and even Hoppes ... all of them will remove lead build up when scrubbed.

Latest posts

Back