Blow by

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casper

Reaction score
I made my Knight D.I.S.C. Elite blow by free by getting a bronze washer from the hardware store, and sanding the thickness down so I could just close the bolt on the primer. I also sanded the red plastic jackets down so the bolt would sqeeze the primer and not the jacket. :D :D :D :D

How do you hold the washer in place, or do you have to reset it for every shot?

I put the washer in between the barrel & the breech plug & snug it down, it makes a perfect seal, no blow by on the threads or primer area at all. Just match the size of the washer to the face of the breech plug, sorry fogot the size. The washer is reusable, just one extra part, and problem solved. Sorry no pictures.

casper said:
I put the washer in between the barrel & the breech plug & snug it down, it makes a perfect seal, no blow by on the threads or primer area at all. Just match the size of the washer to the face of the breech plug, sorry fogot the size. The washer is reusable, just one extra part, and problem solved. Sorry no pictures.

casper,

I know a guy that did this, and with firing the washer migrated outward, locking itself into the breech. Be prepared to have this happen, as there is a lot of pressure up there.

casper,

After further checking, his washer was actually copper, so your bronze washer should be harder. Keep us advised on how this is working for you please. I would measure the I.D and O.D. before a range session, and again after. If the numbers start growing, I would keep an eye on it. His was a thin copper washer and locked itself in his breech after a few shots. He said he had a heck of a time getting it out of there without messing up his bore and breech threads. This was in a NEF with the washer less than 1-1/2" away. In a Knight Disc it would be several inches away going through the receiver, and no doubt much harder to retrieve.

Just wanted you to be aware of the potential problem.

Back