Highlight of my season!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisher2072

Reaction score
I shot a doe last weekend with the Triumph, but that wasn't the highlight. I took my grandfather "who is 84" out for a morning hunt. He has 10 acres about 40 minutes from town. We made it over to a rainy day, so we decided to sit in the truck for the morning. He hasn't had anyone go hunting with him this year. During rifle season, he went over one afternoon alone, and didn't see anything. If he had shot something and not been able to contact someone, he might not have been able to load it up.. So I took him out with the smokepole.
We parked the truck sideways faceing downhill on a 150yd clearing. 45 minutes later it was shooting light, fifteen minutes after that a button buck steps out. My grandfather is a meat hunter. So this was his chance, a 100yd quartering to shot. He squeezed the trigger and... Bang Flop. We started up the truck and drove down the hill to the deer. I loaded it in the truck, and we headed downhill and pulled a sassafras tree and got the roots for some tea. I then drove us to the top of the hill and hung the deer from a tree and gutted it. We then headed out and drove around the land he use to own in that area.
The conversations we had that day brought back many memories from my childhood on the farm. I lost my father this last year to cancer, so my grandfather filled me in with a few stories concerning him. I hope this will not be the last deer he ever kills, but if it is I'm glad I took him out. If it's not the last deer he kills, I know I'll be the one to take him out for that to. This was the best hunt I've had since the last time I hunted with my father, and I never even touched a trigger.

GrANDPA

That sir is a great story to start Christmas Day with. Congrats to Gramps and my hat is off to you for taking him out. Hope you have more outings with him.

Merry Christmas to both of you!

:D

Sometimes I think we just forget all the things we take for granted. To share an outing with a loved one would be great if we remember them. Some day thats all we will have of those loved ones so we must enjoy them all now because later is to late.
I'm glad your hunting adventure with your gramps turned into a great day and memory. Glad you shared your story with us and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Congratulations on a successful hunt. To your Grandfather for filling his freezer with venison and to you for filling your memory with a great event. I've been on a few special hunts myself over the years with special people, and would not trade them for all the heads mounted on anyone's wall.

great post! i'll bet your grandfather had as good a time as you..........karl

The odd thing about that story is that he was with me when I took my first deer at age 11. That was also a button buck taken within 30yds of where he shot this one.

hunt

Thats sooo cool!!
Great story & congrats to you/granfather.
Start makin plans for next year. :D

Mark

highlight of my season

Your story features your feelings twards your father and grandfather. I being a grandfather of two grandsons who are deer hunters can tell you how grandfathers feel. I am 73 years of age and have led, guided, and taught them just about all they know to date, about the outdoors, and that includes their friends also. Now that I am no longer able to hunt as I wish, they are there when I can go and make it as easy for me as they can. I don't have to fire a shot either to enjoy that hunt. Just being with them, and hunting with them, and knowing that I had something to do with their being true ethical hunters. This brings on a feeling that cannot be expressed. I love it. They do all the field dressing, skinning, and butchering I used to do, ( I JUST SUPERVISE ) It gets harder for me to hunt each year, and soon will not be able to. Knowing that they will carry on with the guns I leave them, and their memories of us hunting together warms my heart.Yes we as grandfathers do appriciate the hunt, just like you , more than you can imagine. I only hunted a few times with my father before he passed on , and my grandfather never hunted. GEORGE

by the way, we fish a lot also.

Re: highlight of my season

GRANDBOW said:
Your story features your feelings twards your father and grandfather. I being a grandfather of two grandsons who are deer hunters can tell you how grandfathers feel. I am 73 years of age and have led, guided, and taught them just about all they know to date, about the outdoors, and that includes their friends also. Now that I am no longer able to hunt as I wish, they are there when I can go and make it as easy for me as they can. I don't have to fire a shot either to enjoy that hunt. Just being with them, and hunting with them, and knowing that I had something to do with their being true ethical hunters. This brings on a feeling that cannot be expressed. I love it. They do all the field dressing, skinning, and butchering I used to do, ( I JUST SUPERVISE ) It gets harder for me to hunt each year, and soon will not be able to. Knowing that they will carry on with the guns I leave them, and their memories of us hunting together warms my heart.Yes we as grandfathers do appriciate the hunt, just like you , more than you can imagine. I only hunted a few times with my father before he passed on , and my grandfather never hunted. GEORGE

by the way, we fish a lot also.

I want to thank you for being the teacher/grandfather that you are! I never had the father and my grandfather just started getting me in the game before he passed. I luckily have a friend that has a wonderful father and uncle to guide me in the passions that I have. If it were not for these two gentlemen I would not know what I would do with myself. I am now 31 years old and did not realize the profound affect these individuals had on my life til now.

Many more happy hunts in your future.

Scott

Hightlight of my season

Thank you Scott, good hunting and happy days ahead for you. GEORGE

Latest posts

Back