First Muzzleloader Hunt and Thank you! - New Mexico Bull

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oregonelkhunter said:
Rob - on the second trip we each took a rear and front quarter. Again, only about a mile to the 4 wheeler. I would guess packs weighed about 80 lbs. Like I said, all down hill, so not that bad. OEH

I only hunt up hill for elk !!! :wink: *

If i had horses available then i would not care . But no way i could haul a elk out up hill unless i had a bunch of friends along . All i know is i will NEVER drag another bull out , even if it is cut in half . My son shot a small elk ( if there is such a thing ) a mile frtom the road and 1300 feet up . First we tried dragging the whole thing . then we cut it in half and drug the back half to the truck over dead fall and brush ( about killed me :oops: ) Then i grabbed my pack frame and boned out the front half and carried it out on my back , that was sooo much easier . :D

I am way happier than i look in this picture !!
packingoutcodyelk13.jpg

Congrats on a superb bull, and a equally excellent shot. Any idea what FPS your load had at the muzzle? I ask because I am a rather large fan of TMZs and plan on using them for deer and hopefully one day elk. That bull remindes me of a super 5x5 I saw while hunting in unit 34 in NM.

Thanks,
Arthur.

OEH...
He is fine looking for sure!!!
Congratulations, on a fine hunt. What an accomplishment.

Please post pics of him when he comes home to your wall! :D

ART338WM said:
Congrats on a superb bull, and a equally excellent shot. Any idea what FPS your load had at the muzzle? I ask because I am a rather large fan of TMZs and plan on using them for deer and hopefully one day elk. That bull remindes me of a super 5x5 I saw while hunting in unit 34 in NM.

Thanks,
Arthur.

Arthur: Load was running at 2145fps. PM me and I will give you the load details. I started with the TEZ sabots, but accuracy was just OK. Also, noticed that the blue sabots I found after the shot were in pieces. Upon switching to the TMZ,the yellow sabots were in tack and the accuracy was much better. OEH

Latest posts

Back