Bat TOLD me what to shoot!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I had a quickie range session this morning.. I've had this White 97 .50 for SEVERAL years. Well I have not shot it in a couple of years so I thought I'd break it out today. I had no scope sighted in on it as I had robbed the scope that was on it. The reason was I could never get this White to shoot any better than two inches or so at 100yds. I put the old beat up Nikon Monarch 3-9X40 on it using the Burris QR Zee rings. I had to actually sight it in of course which took a little while. I was using some 495gr No Excuses because I was saving Bats trashcan for real shooting. Now the SURPRISE! I was using Swiss fffg that Bat had given me over a year ago which I had never tried before!

Well I had always liked 70-75gr fffg Triple Se7en in Whites so I stuck to 75gr fffg Swiss and Bats 495gr Trashcan. MAN...am I a BELIEVER! I shot two 3-shot groups at 102yds and finally a five shot group in the center. The first group is the top right, second is top left, then the center group. I was even moving the MOI for each group to center it on the target AND shooting them about as fast as I could! Barrel got REALLY warm.

Photo002.JPG

That photo is WAY misleading as that center group looks way larger than it is. Try 5 shots in 0.97 inches! That Swiss fffg is pretty hot stuff too! 75gr and a 495gr bullet got me 1295fps. That's about 30-50fps more than what fffg Triple Se7en will do...

I think I'm gonna leave the scope on this one for a while! :D

Wow! is close to all I can say! Time to find a groundhog!! Great shooting.

Great shootin Chuck!!! Outstanding groups!!

Yeah, Bat got me sniffin that 3fg Swiss too plus liken those BIG Trashcans!! :lol:

Were ya usin dem "unlubed wads" like the Bat uses?? :lol:

In my 54 Pa Mtn Rifle I had to go with 2fg swiss...3fg was blowin the heck out of the rb patches. Its 3fg Swiss in my in-lines though.

Very nice shooting there Chuck. You just got to love those White Rifles..

My White Ultra Mag .504 with 70 grains of Swiss 3f and a unlubed wad between the powder and a 500 grain BullShop conical shoots great groups like that also. I have a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm on mine. Another good powder in it is Triple Se7en 3f.

As for power, I just got done chunking up a Balsam tree that was about 12" on the stump that had a sheet of 1/4 inch steel plate in front of it. I was shooting targets thinking the steel would stop the conical. Well they blew through that steel, my styrofoam bow target and through that Balsam. The wind actually took the tree down, but I am sure if it was not for those big conicals going through it, the tree would have stood. So I am pretty sure it would penetrate a deer.. :D :D :D

Chuck, you need to tighten up those groups a little. :wink:

Everything old is new again. Pity the rifles aren't being manufactured by a good company (or at all).

You might elaborate about how hard it was to load also. 8)

Nice shooting Chuck. Is that all Blow Back in that picture i see? You need talk to underclock about that. I think he uses part of a garden hose. :)

have i posted this pic yet ... this was shot w/ a white lightning w/ millet 4x scope at 100 yds a couple of weeks ago. 250 g. xtp, black mmp, and 80 g. of swiss 2f powder

litnin.jpg

You might elaborate about how hard it was to load also.

We I have to say it was easy, but there was more crud in the barrel with the Swiss than with the Triple Se7en...Triple Se7en being a good bit easier to load/

BTW..Those groups were shot with no wad no nothing. Just pouring up 75gr, pouring it down the barrel, seating a bullet on top and shooting.

During cleanup this afternoon..there WAS a lot more crap in the barrel but it cleaning up surprisingly easily.

I find cleaning the White G or Whitetail series to be as easy as most any rifle and far easier than most.

Dang, Chuck,,,yer slow,,but good! :lol: Great shooting!! :wink:

Blowback has always been notorious with the White rifles,,,but when you constantly get groups like that,,,,who cares? Gotta clean 'em anyway. :wink:

Batchief909 said:
Chuck,,,did ya have a chance to test any Powerbelts out of that 97?? 8)

You mean the most expensive conical on the planet? Is that the one you are talking about? In a WORD...NO! Why should I? REAL .50cal conicals start at about 450gr don't they? And boy...the price is right on those 495gr trash cans! 8)

:wink:

Ah run a 'sweat shop'.... 8) :lol:

Jest wait til ah figger out a way ta glue sum sub bases on 'em.... :wink:

Chuck, if you try some of Bat's suggested "Dry Wads" you will likely end up with "one hole"!!! Of course, you will also need one of Bat's (Patent Pending) Target Hole Punchers guaranteed to produce groups second to none!! :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back