Disc Extream first test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayles

Reaction score
Recently aquired a ss disc extream from one of the forum members. Got to test it today with BH 209. I will say that useing the red plastic jacket and the concave plug is not an option for me. Two hang fires had me changing the concave plug to the domed plug and stright win.209. Worked perfect after that. I tried lots of combos. Ended up liking 110 gr.BH 209 and harvester light blue with 200 gr sst. Had 1 inch group at 100 yds and 1.5 inch at 200 yds. Topped the gun with a burris 4.5 to 14. Sighted in 3 in. high at 100 yd. Used the first dot under the main cross hair and put 3 in a 1.5 group in center of bull at 200 yd. Tried other combos 195 barns,200 grain xtp with light blue. Nothing shot like the sst. Tried 100gr and 110 grain combos. Did not get to shoot 120 grains yet ran out of time. I guess I'm spoiled by the encore when it comes to putting the win 209 in place. I found the DExtream tough to cap and some times tough to get the spent cap out. Both the plugs had a lot of blow back, more than I get out of the encore. ...Successful day the gun is shooter!!!
Wayles

Wow! For a first test, that is powerful results. One and a half inches at 200 yards is nothing short of astounding!!! Is the Extreme a .45 cal? From the components that you mentioned, it sounds like a .45. Great report and great shooting.

Kevin
Yes it is a .45 cal. I hope hornady does come thru with a bonded 200 grain. I would not be afraid to shoot about anything if I had a bonded bullet with this load. I look forward to streaching it out and seeing what it will do at 300 yd. It should not open up more than a 4 inch group. Thats the beauty of the ballistic plex burris.
Wayles

Ended up liking 110 gr.BH 209 and harvester light blue with 200 gr sst. Had 1 inch group at 100 yds and 1.5 inch at 200 yds.

Hey, I'd gun hunting with that ANY day! Good shooting!

Am I wrong about what I have read about breech plugs? In my original post I mentioned that the concave plug and red disc did not work. Are they working for some on this forum ? Old toby sez they work for him. I would appreciate input. Is there a plug for a disc extream that has the concave face but uses a stright 209. Is this gun I have a mix or is it a disc extream . It only has disc on the barrel. It shoots good with the convex plug that uses the stright 209 but really had to follow thru when I was shooting. It may have just been my imagination but it almost seemed like I heard the click of the hammer fall and could still the bulls eye an instant before ignition?
Wayles

Disc Extreme

Wayles: Not sure about difference in models, but my 50 cal. Disc Extreme shot with the original FJP (red), but had ignition problems with Federal primers. Switched to Winchester 209's and no problem. In the meantime, I ordered a non-jacketed plug from Midsouth (not concave, but convex front) and it works great. So, in my opinion, either will work.

Make sure you use a drill bit to get out the carbon in the plug... It doesn't take long for it to start robbing the amount of fire that gets through.

flint head said:
Make sure you use a drill bit to get out the carbon in the plug... It doesn't take long for it to start robbing the amount of fire that gets through.

Ditto

Disc Extreme

Are you talking both types of plugs or just the long stem on the NFJ plug? Haven't experienced a problem yet, but have never shot over (24) shots without cleaning. Do you see an advantage using one plug over the other? I've grown to like the NFJ plug and ignition seems quicker (maybe just in my head!).

Thanks for the input but this knight ignorent TC shooter is still wandering what might be wrong. The concave plug with fpj ignition was spick and span clean with no oil in it . After cleaning I used alcohol and air to remove all solvent. It was clean and dry [ I also use a .125 drill bit and torch tip cleaners to remove all residue]. after the first two hang fires I changed to the convex plug and Winchester regular 209. fired ok then, Do all of the knights use the large diameter firing pins. It appears to be at least .125 plus in dia. All thoughts appreciated
Wayles

A couple of things, here the concave plug that uses the red plastic 209 holder deffinatly did not work ,but is there some trick to putting the 209's in it . I think I had them bottomed out in the holder even useing the rinky dink pliars I purchased from knight. Mabe I should have used a pair of smooth pliars to check the depth but they appeared all the way in. The other plug has a convex end and uses a SSteel 209 houlder that drops in the bolt end where the red plastic 209 holder went. I shot a fantastic group with the gun useing the stright 209 but it almost seemed as if there was the slightest almost indetectable hangfire. As I said earler it seemed as though I could still see the bullseye after I heard the firing pin drop for a split second before it went off. I never noticed the delay with the encore. I'm not sure I see it with the Knight but It seems like it. The fireing pin makes a dent in the 209 like a BB struck it opposed to a fireing pin on the encore. Colt chris I hope I explained this adequatly
Wayles

Disc Extreme

Wayles: I don't have enough experience with the Knight (my first one also) to give you any firm answers. Like I said in my earlier post, it seems like the non FJP gives me more consistant ignition with BH 209. Hopefully, some other members can give us some better answers!

It would be easy enough to make a plug that had a concave face and utilizes the 209 by itself . Is just a matter of how deep the .125 hole is drilled. There is plenty of steel to make the demension what ever is needed. Maybe they make one already? If I get the ambition I can make one myself if I have to.
Wayles

Got out today and tried the Disc. Extream with 120 gr of BH 209. Regular win 209. It shot 1.5 in. at 200yds. Decided to push the envelope and tried 130 gr., group went to 5 in. Was useing 200 gr sst and light blue harvester sabot. Previous trial with 110 gr also did 1.5 at 200 with same components. Has anybody chronographed the 110 or 120 gr loads with a 200gr. bullet ??
Wayles

Has anybody chronographed the 110 or 120 gr loads with a 200gr. bullet ??

Having no knowledge of that powder... but I AM GUESSING you would have to be pushing 2100 fps or better. That would be a great deer load.

Excellent that is the best of the Knight rifles and you have it set up right. That is excellent shooting with any rifle.
Cayuga, I would second guess you on the velocity, my guess would be 2250 to 2300. maybe he will tell us who is closest. Lee

I am hopin some one can tell me the velocity. I have no chrono. Its sighted in for about 2.5 to 3in. high at 100 yd the drop at 200 is 3 in. below the bull if held center of the bull.

Wayles

wayles
I use a very similar load in my 50cal triumph so heres the info on it.
Chrony = 2255 fps
Trajectory as close as I can figure it.
50yds=+1.5"
100yds=+2.5"
150yds=+1.2"
170 yds="0"
200yds= -2.7"
I hope this helps. Lee

Lee 9

Thanks Lee
I appreciate the info. Please tell me the load your useing as I have a tc encore .50 and .45 barrel and a .50 renagade also besides the .45 knight
Wayles

Latest posts

Back